Chapter 3

As she made her way through the palace, Annabelle found Sif and the Warriors Three. The group soon found the source of the noise and opened the doors to find Thor, Loki, and a knocked-over banquet table.

"What is this?" Annabelle asked as the five of them walked into the room.

"If it's any consolation, I think you're right. About the Frost Giants, about Laufey, about everything," Loki said to his brother. "If they found a way to penetrate Asgard's defenses once, who's to say they won't try again? Next time, with an army."

"Exactly," Thor said, you can hear the anger in his voice.

"There's nothing you can do without defying Father." Loki saw his brother look down at Mjölnir, a glint in his eyes. "No, no, no, no, no, I know that look."

"It's the only way to ensure the safety of our borders!" Thor stated.

"Thor, it's madness."

"Madness? What sort of madness?" Annabelle asked.

"Nothing. Thor was making a jest!"

"The safety of our Realm is no jest," Thor said and looked to the Warriors Three. "We're going to Jotunheim."

"Thor, that's ridiculous!" Annabelle exclaimed.

"This isn't like a journey to Earth where you summon a little lightning and thunder, and the mortals worship you as a god," Fandral responded. "This is Jotunheim."

"And if the Frost Giants don't kill you, your Father will!" Volstagg said.

"My father fought his way into Jotunheim, defeated their armies, and took their Casket. We would just be looking for answers," Thor said.

"It is forbidden," Sif stated.

"My friends, have you forgotten what all we have done together?" Thor said as he made his way over to them. "Fandral, Hogun. Who led you into the most glorious of battles?"

"You did."

"And Volstagg, to delicacies so succulent you thought you'd died and gone to Valhalla?"

"You did."

"And who proved wrong all who scoffed at the idea that a young maiden could be one of the fiercest warriors this realm has ever known?"

"I did!"

"True, but I supported you, Sif," Thor said. "My friends, we're going to Jotunheim."

The five of them left the room, leaving Loki and Annabelle alone.

"This is madness!" Annabelle said once they left.

"I know, darling," Loki agreed.

"You said it yourself; this was all just supposed to delay his reign for a little while longer, not turn into a trip to Jotunheim!"

"Well, things have escalated," Loki sighed.

"You think?!" she said, pacing the floor. "Your father's always said, 'A wise king never seeks out war, but he must always be ready for it.' Does he remember none of that?"

"Darling, please sit," Loki said, gesturing beside him.

Annabelle sighed. "You're going with them. Aren't you?"

"I'm afraid so," he said with a sad smile. "Someone has to make sure they come back alive."

"I suppose... I just wish it didn't have to be you."

"I know. Believe me, I would much rather stay here with you and read until morning."

"Just promise me that along with making sure they don't die, make sure you don't. After all, being a widow wouldn't really suit me."

Loki laughed at her comment. "I won't. I promise I will come back in one piece."

"Good," Annabelle said and kissed his cheek. The two got up and made their way to meet the others.

"Are you ready?" Thor asked his brother.

"Of course," Loki responded.

"Thor, please be safe!" Annabelle said before he left.

"I will. Don't worry."

"Just because you say that doesn't mean I'll listen!" she replied. Thor laughed as Loki turned to her.

"Everything is going to be alright," Loki said reassuringly.

Annabelle nodded. "Come back to me."

"Always," he said with a smile and kissed her before turning to leave with the others. "I love you, darling."

"I love you too."