Chapter 7

"Back to the palace?" Annabelle asked her husband.

"Actually, I had something else in mind..."

"And what would that be?"

"The next phase of our plan," he said with a smirk.

"Already?"

"Well, I don't see why not."

"True... go ahead," she said, and he put his staff back into the control panel.

The walls of the observatory began to spin, and the bridge to Jotunheim opened once more. Laufey and three other Frost Giants quickly appeared.

"Welcome to Asgard," Loki greeted, standing in front of his Queen to assure her safety. "Follow me." He then transported them in front of the palace, leaving two to guard the observatory.

On the way to the Allfather's chamber, Loki paused.

"Loki?" Annabelle asked, concerned.

"It's Thor," he said and continued walking.

As they approached Odin's chamber, Loki told Annabelle to wait in the library, where she would be safe. This was about to get ugly.

"I'll come find you when this is over," he said, communicating telepathically.

"Be safe," she responded.

"Always," he looked at Laufey and the Frost Giant he brought with him. "After you."

Laufey's soldier opened the door and began to walk in but was quickly killed by the Allmother. As she went to strike Laufey with her sword, he tossed her aside. He approached Odin and towered himself over him.

"It's said you can still hear and see what transpires around you, even in this state. I hope it's true, so that you may know your death came by the hand of Laufey." The Frost Giant created a blade of ice and held it above Odin, ready to strike.

Suddenly Laufey was blasted off the Allfather's bed.

"And your death came by the son of Odin," Loki said and killed him.

"Loki! You saved him!" Frigga said, relieved. She went to her son and hugged him tightly.

"I swear to you, Mother, that they will pay for what they've done today."

"Loki!" Thor said as he barged in.

"Thor!" Frigga said and ran to her oldest, "I knew you'd return to us."

Loki stood there. He couldn't believe that his brother had returned.

"Why don't you tell her? How you sent the Destroyer to kill our friends? To kill me?" Thor yelled as he walked to his father's bedside.

"What?" Frigga asked, confused.

"Why, it must have been enforcing Father's last command," Loki said to his brother.

"You're a talented liar, Brother. Always have been."

"It's good to have you back. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to destroy Jotunheim." And with that, Loki blasted Thor through a wall and outside the palace.

Loki hurried to the Bifrost. Once inside, he placed his staff inside the control panel and directed the bridge toward Jotunheim. The Bifrost soon began to destroy the planet.

To ensure the bridge didn't close, Loki froze the control panel - and with it, the lightning that filled the inside of the observatory.

"You can't stop it. The Bifrost will build until it rips Jotunheim apart." Loki said to his brother as he walked into the observatory.

Thor tried to break the ice on the control panel with Mjölnir but was blasted back by Loki.

"Why have you done this?"

"To prove to Father that I am the worthy son. When he wakes, I will have saved his life. I will have destroyed that race of monsters. And I will be true heir to the throne!"

"You can't kill an entire race!"

"Why not?" Loki laughed, "And what is this newfound love for the Frost Giants? You could have killed them all with your bare hands."

"I've changed," Thor said.

"So have I," Loki said and hit Thor with his staff. "Now fight me." Thor was hit by the staff again and fell to the floor. "I never wanted the throne! I only ever wanted to be your equal!"

"I will not fight you, Brother!"

"I'm not your brother. I never was."

"Loki, this is madness."

"Is it madness?! Is it?! Is it?!"

Thor looked at his brother and saw his pain. It was unlike anything he had ever seen before.

"Come on. What happened to you on Earth that turned you so soft?! Don't tell me it was that woman... Oh! It was!"

"Isn't that what happened with Annabelle?"

"Don't bring her into this," Loki said firmly.

"How can I not? You're never like this when she's around - not even at your worst."

"She's different. I've known her more than two days!"

The brothers jumped at each other. Loki swung his staff at his brother, and Thor stopped it with Mjölnir. They ran around the observatory fighting. And then, as Loki aimed his staff at his brother, Thor hit it with Mjölnir and blasted them both out onto the rainbow bridge.

"Thor!" Loki yelled, hanging from the edge of the bridge. Thor approached him and stared down at his brother. "Brother, please." As he reached down to pull Loki up, he vanished. He then appeared behind Thor and knocked him onto the bridge. Thor looked up to find countless duplicates of Loki laughing at him.

"Enough!" Thor yelled and blasted the illusions with a bolt of lightning. He walked over to Loki lying on the bridge and placed Mjölnir on his chest. He walked back over to the Bifrost slowly, trying to think of a way to stop it - only one thing came to mind. He summoned Mjölnir and began to break the rainbow bridge.

"What are you doing?" Loki said, sitting up. "If you destroy the bridge, you'll never see her again!"

"Forgive me, Jane."

Loki ran toward Thor, preparing to strike as Thor hit the bridge one last time. The blast from the bridge threw both of them back, no longer on stable ground. Just before they fell to their impending doom, Odin grabbed ahold of Thor's ankle. Loki looked up to see what had saved them.

"I could have done it, Father! I could have done it! For you! For all of us!"

"No, Loki," Odin said to his son. And Loki let go.

"Loki, no!" Thor yelled as he watched his brother fall into the abyss.