Final Revelations

Several days later both men were on the mend. Jay's knee scan showed soft tissue damage but no tears or breaks. He remained in the brace to allow the knee to heal fully. They were starting to get back to joking with each other and the non-stop visitors. Dr Charles came into the room where Erin was already there along with Will. Hailey had gone home for a few hours to rest and get clean clothes. She and Will had been taking turns staying with the friends.

"Good afternoon, gentleman." I know Jay already but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet. Greg I hear it is?" Dr Charles shook both their hands. "I'm Dr Charles, the chief Psychologist. Before you are released I would like to talk to both of you about what you experienced and help you sort through some of that."

Jay felt anxiety build up. He tried to avoid talking to all but the very few people he trusted about some of his traumatic experiences from his time in the army and policing.

"We can talk one on one or since I know you two are good friends, you can be together if you prefer." Dr Charles sat between the two beds and looked back and forth between them.

"Actually, Dr Charles. I do have to go back to New York. I hate to do this boys but I have to get your statements before I go. Maybe Dr Charles could sit in while I record your statement?" Erin suggested with a raised eyebrow. Both looked very uncomfortable but nodded with almost identical sighs.

"Let's get this over with," Jay said uncomfortably. "Will, I really don't think you want to hear all the details."

"Jay, I know I haven't always been there when you needed me. I want to be here for you. I can handle it. If you want I'll sit at the back with Dr Charles and be quiet." Will insisted.

"Fine, but I need you to be silent." Dr Charles and Will shifted to the opposite side of the room to stay as unobtrusive as possible.

"Alright, Mouse. It started with you so I'm going to get you to go first. Take your time, if you need a break let me know. I'm going to record everything." Erin took a minute to start up the small recording device.

"June 14th Greg Gerwitz." Erin started the recording then nodded to Mouse.

"I arrived Monday June 7th on a one week leave from the army. I went to the 21st district to meet up with Jay and we decided to go for dinner and drinks after his shift. He leant me his key and I went and hung out at his place for a few hours. From there I took an Uber to The Mad Hatter restaurant where I had dinner and drinks with a few of my Chicago friends. I left a little earlier than I had planned, Jay had got hurt in a raid earlier in the afternoon and I admit, I was a little worried about him. I arranged an Uber but when the car pulled over it didn't match the app. Something felt off, the guy was a bit too insistent that I had to get in the car. I started to go back into the restaurant but everything went black." Mouse started his story. He went on to talk about how he had been brought back to the cabin and beaten for several hours while being forced to replay the convoy over and over again before being locked in the cell for the night. The morning had started with breakfast followed by more beatings before Tommy had locked Mouse in the foot locker while he went back to Chicago to trap Jay.

Jay knew most of the story after that but struggled to hear everything his friend had gone through. He gripped the blanket on the bed and wished he was well enough to pace. Sitting there listening was driving him crazy. Jay stopped listening for a while as Mouse described when Jay was brought in, his own interrogation, Mouse being dragged to the basement and beaten with the belt when he had tried to stop Tommy from choking him. Finally he got to the part Jay was most curious about, how they managed to get found.

"Jay backmouthed Tommy and he lost it. He dragged Jay to the basement and the door shut behind them. I realized he forgot to lock me up or thought I was unconscious. I dragged my sorry ass out the bunker door. I found my cell phone in the back of the SUV and headed into the forest while I called Voight. I hid the phone so they could keep tracking it but it was only a few minutes later that Tommy found me. He figured out I had managed to get the phone and beat me until I passed out. I sort of came to when he came back out of the bunker carrying Jay into the forest. I really thought he was dead, he wasn't moving at all." Greg became overcome with emotion and couldn't speak for several moments. Jay pushed himself out of the bed and Will was right at his side helping him limp over to Greg. Erin stopped the recording as Jay leaned in to hug his long time friend as he struggled to regain control of his emotions.

"It's alright bud, we're out. It's going to be ok." Jay held onto Greg and fought his own emotions. After a minute Mouse regained control and sat back. Jay squeezed his shoulder before Will helped him hobble back to the bed.

"You know everything after that. It's all a bit fuzzy for me to be honest." Mouse admitted and lay back exhausted. Erin squeezed his hand sympathetically.

"I'm sorry I had to get you to relive that but I need to add your statements to my reports." Erin rubbed his arm, holding his hand for a few minutes.

"I'm ready to get this over with." Jay broke the silence when he was comfortably seated back on his own bed.

"Are you sure? We can wait a bit and let you both rest." Erin looked at Jay with a concerned expression. Jay shook his head. Erin moved over to Jay's bed with her recorder and announced who she was interviewing.

Jay started with Greg's disappearance and how he had decided to draw the offender out to find Mouse rather than going into protective custody like Voight wanted. He explained how he had been caught and woke up tied to the chair. He stared at his hands as he described being beaten and choked when Mouse had jumped in and pushed Tommy off him. Will wanted to pace around the room but had promised to stay quiet and out of the way. He wrung his hands and rocked slightly. Dr Charles put a soothing hand on his arm.

Jay continued in a monotone, report voice as if he was talking about someone else's experience and not his own. He talked about being questioned again and again until he finally lost his temper and backtalked Tommy. That had led to the beating with the belt where he blacked out.

"When I woke up it was pitch black. My hands were tied and I could feel the box all around me. I've been shot, beaten and tortured before but it's the first time I actually thought I was going to die..." Jay finally broke down and covered his face. Erin put her arm across his shoulders and squeezed him. Will froze, not sure if he was allowed to comfort his brother at this point or if Jay needed him to stay away until he finished. After a few minutes Jay forced the emotions back down and wiped his eyes. "I don't remember much of anything after that. I know I had a conversation with Severide but it's all a blur."

"That's it, the hardest part is over. I'm so sorry I had to put you both through that but there were big gaps I needed to fill to finish my report." Erin said, squeezing Jay's shoulder before pulling away to turn off her recorder. "I'm afraid I do have to go to get this submitted to the boss. I will come see you guys before I leave Chicago, I promise."

Erin gave both of their arms a squeeze and a kiss on the cheek before she headed out the door. Will raised an eyebrow to Jay who nodded after a brief hesitation. He couldn't help himself in hugging Jay, his little brother who had seen more and been through more than anyone he'd ever known. He felt Jay take a shuddering breath against his shoulder and felt Jay gripping his shoulders. Recovery would be a long time to come but at least Will felt equipped to be there for both of these men. Something he never could have handled before. He would always run from his problems or responsibilities. He had a lot to make up for but at least it seemed Jay was willing to give him the chance to be there for him.