chapter twenty six

Ten months pass from Alex's wedding. Laurance slowly began to talk to me again, but it's never been the way it was before. It's more hushed, daily conversation like you would have to a stranger.

I've known Laurance personally for a year. It's hard to believe that I learned so much about Laurance within two months only for the next ten to be treated like anybody else.

Laurance's coronation was never moved. It's still after my wedding but before his. Vylad had his coronation four months after his wedding with Alex.

Alex gave birth to a healthy baby girl. A letter was sent to Laurance expressing of the happy news. Even if it was not the heir that was desired from Garte, the birth thriller the two new parents of having a child of their own. So much so they were not concerned of the birth, at least Vylad wasn't and had to convince Alex away from her doubts. But in the end, they came to the conclusion that they will always try for another child.

They waited a small bit of time before announcing the birth. The kingdom thought the child simply was born before her due date. It wasn't questioned.

But now, it's the day before my wedding. We're all in Scaleswind residing within the palace. Hayden and the king have been talking nonstop. I rarely see Leo. So much so I see Nicole more than I see him. It's rather awkward. Nicole and I have never spoken before until my trip a few months ago. And even then we didn't speak often. Laurance avoids Leo at all costs.

But now I'm sitting outside in the center of the maze. The green walls around me large and bushy. The scent of flowers strong. It's peaceful without the sound of talking and only the song of birds to listen to.

When there's the sound of footsteps, I look up to see who caused them. To my surprise I'm face to face with Laurance.

"Laurance."

He looks like he's ashamed. I couldn't imagine what is running through his head. He gets married in a few months. I'll be gone, and he'll be left alone with Hayden. He'll be king soon. I wonder if he already feels alone. I wonder if Hayden has already started celebrating.

He walks over to my bench, looking down at the empty space beside me. Laurance softly nods, as is asking if he may sit beside me. I respond in my own nod. We both know this is the last time we'll get to spend time together like this.

"Y/N," he says, slowly seating himself down onto the sun kissed bench. The air is warm, making the shade of my parasol something I am grateful for. "I wanted to talk."

I look at him. For months he avoided me. For months on end he would give me the simplest of conversations. But now, he wants to talk.

I would talk, but I don't even know what I would say. Would my words be angered? Full of sadness? Would I be understanding? Unforgiving?

"I'm unsure if this is a talk you'd want to have with me," he says. He sounds genuine and truthful. Perhaps it is a talk I don't want to have but instead one that is needed. Even if it could possibly be painful. "But you don't have to listen. I just need to get a few things off my chest."

I force out a laugh. It's dry and horrid sounding, but in my mind it's better than silence. "You know I could never do a thing like that. I'd always listen to you."

"You don't know how hard it is for me to say this. I've been thinking. I've been thinking for so long that the words eventually just become a jumbled mess inside of my head. If I could've done things differently, I don't think I would've. I just wish things wouldn't have turned out the way they have."

He reaches for my hand, squeezing it. I begin to think that holding onto my hand was more reassurance for himself than for me.

"Somehow, I fell in love with you. I don't think I could ever love my fiancée the way I love you. It's selfish of me, I know, but I have stopped caring about scandals. I saw my sister on her wedding day. She was happy. She. . . she thanked me for allowing her to love. I envied her for it because I can't marry you."

"Oh, Laurance." My voice is hushed. I look at him, feeling my parasol drop down on my shoulder. The sun moves to my lap, beginning to warm the skirts on my lap.

"No, no, Y/N. If you talk, you'll make it harder for me," he says, dismissing my words with the wave of his hand. "I love you so much. So much so that I wish you would've been a part of another royal family, as a true royal. That way I could've been engaged to you instead of the Princess of Brightport."

I reach for him, letting go of my parasol to bring him into an embrace. This embrace is for me more than him. "Laurance, I love you too. Is what I'm doing wrong?"

"No, it isn't. You're doing what's right, Y/N. I'm not. . . That's why I'm not attending your wedding tomorrow."