chapter four

I have only heard about Prince Leonardo. Never in my life did I expect to meet a foreign prince. In the village I found it more likely to meet Laurance rather than someone else.

But now, we're walking together in utter silence through the gardens. The air around us reeks of awkwardness as this walk on its own feels forced. I wonder if Prince Leonardo feels as awkward as I do.

I feel eyes on me, and I look up to see the prince staring down at me. His dark hair shining in the light while his dark eyes seem soft. The rumors I've heard of him are nothing but good, so finding a gentle gaze does not surprise me.

"Prince Leonardo," I begin, but this seems to be unsatisfying to him as he shakes his head.

"No, no," he says, waving off his title with the wave of his hand. We stop, and the quiet clanking of armor sounds behind us alerting the guards have stopped as well. "It's Leonardo to you now. Leo, if you must. Close friends of mine have bestowed that name for me."

I nod my head, silent. My mouth opens, and my words are hesitant. "Y/N," I reply, offering a sheepish smile.

He smiles in return, and our walk continues once more. It's not private. Even in the gardens I am followed around. This is taking some getting used to.

It isn't until minutes later that we stop once more. This time we are near a bench, and I twirl my parasol around in my finger tips. I still feel out of place, but he hasn't said a word besides our previous name swap.

I wish to sit, but a feeling within me tells me that sitting would not be correct. Instead I stand still in front of the prince. My feet begin to ache, but I don't dare complain.

Breakfast consisted of food and warnings. I am to be married against my wishes, and I am to keep my emotions in check. The king refuses for any feelings to arise amongst myself and the other siblings.

"Y/N."

His voice brings my attention to my side. Leo kneels against a single knee as he stares up at me. My heartbeat increases. This is happening so quickly. I only just met this man hours ago.

"It'd be an honor if you'd be my wife," he tells me, a ring being held out in front of me. "So please, do accept this ring and promise your future to be by my side."

I swallow the lump in my throat. My grip against my parasol tightens, and I can tell that my knuckles have turned white within my gloves.

I keep in an exhale, faking a smile as I place out my hand. "I graciously accept your proposal," I announce, licking my dry lips. "It'd be my honor, and duty, to stand beside you as your wife."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"I should've warned you earlier," Laurance says, shaking his head in disappointment. "Due to becoming future king, I've been granted knowledge into these kind of subjects. I knew he would propose today, but I hadn't warned you in advance."

I let out a shaky sigh. Laurance is escorting me to my chambers, but our walk is slow and filled with conversation. I feel more at ease with Laurance within these few seconds than the previous hours with Leo.

"You don't have to worry about me," I tell him. "I am not your problem. I am here only to fulfill what the king wishes until the princess returns."

Laurance looks at me. He seems to be speechless but my response. King Hayden has drilled my duty into my mind countless of times. Letters, notes, voiced messages and much more have been sent to me as reminders of where I stand in the short time I've been here.

I fear the princess will return soon, and I would have already grown attached.

"Laurance," I start, wishing for a new conversation. "This morning. I saw you outside. You were fighting. Do you do that every morning?"

He lets out a breathy chuckle but nods his head regardless. "Why, I didn't know you could see that. I do. Sometimes I wish to fight rather than rule."

It appears that the rumors within the halls are correct. Laurance wishing to fight rather than lead.

I nod my head, looking up to be face to face with my chambers's entrance. I thank Laurance before walking inside, feeling uneasy as I slip down into the desk chair.

I look around to see is Taryn is present before reaching for the diary once more. Maybe there's something in there to ease my situation.

Dear Diary,

I write with a conflicting feeling within my heart. Today I have been granted a proposal, but this is only something I have been dreading since I learned that I would be married. With Laurance and Cadenza being thrown into their own arrangements, I knew it was only a matter of time until I am forced into one as well.

The things I must do as a royal. The things I must do to please my father. My own happiness is instead casted aside and left with envy for those in the kingdom who may marry freely.

He stopped me in the garden, pulling out a blinding ring that sparkled in the sunlight. Staring at him in that moment I came to the conclusion that I cannot escape my fate. I just wished it would be further in time.

Father says the news will be broadcasted to those around. Papers written and letters sent. A ball will be thrown for celebration.

I'm unsure what there is to celebrate. A loss of a woman's freedom?

If others were to learn of my feelings I would be looked down upon. Claimed as ungrateful. The prince of a power kingdom wishes to marry me. My father shares more join in my union than I process within my smallest finger. I suppose my feelings can only be written here. At least here I cannot be reprimanded for my feelings. I cannot be reprimanded for being human.

With a bitter heart I must sign off. Perhaps the future will look brighter. Perhaps I can learn how to love a man whom I do not know.

With love,

Alexandra Zvahl