chapter nine

A few weeks pass by to reveal a ruckus.

"Laurance, have you read this book before?" Alex asks, looking up at him. The book is placed against her lap open as her eyes search for his.

"It depends on what it is," he says. "It's a decent possibility, but you have more time on your hands than I do."

"It's a book about Esmund," Alex says, lifting an eyebrow before chuckling. "Garroth sent it to me after he finished reading it. King Garte thought it would be good for Garroth to read about him. In his letter he told me he hoped you'd find time to read it as well. It's a fairly short book."

"Since when does Garroth read anything about them?"

"Since his father chose for him to do so."

Laurance nods. I don't know how they are able to sit down and focus on reading a book. I keep getting distracted with my own book, losing interest in what is written on the page. As horrid as it sounds, Alex's diary was more interesting than this book.

The library doors open disrupting the quietness that followed after their conversation. Before the air filled with flicks of pages or occasional movement against fabric.

Now, heavy wood closing and footsteps take over. Two servants walk and spilt pathways to the two other royals. They stop, standing still with a silver plate in hand. The siblings look up and reach for the paper resting on them, thanking them for the delivery before sending them off.

Books shut and are placed beside them while I discard of my own book. I couldn't tell you the main character's first name. I'm unsure if I'm even reading fiction.

Laurance rises from his seat, the paper held tightly in his hand. "I must speak with father," he says, looking down at Alex.

She slowly rises, placing her own paper against her chest. "Did you receive the same news as I had?" Alex asks, appearing to look taken back. They've seen to forget I am here as they change a silent conversation, knowing looks plastered across their faces.

I look up at them, standing up and placing my hand gently on Alex's arm. "What's going on?" I ask, confused by the secrecy surrounding the room. "What news?"

"Vylad has returned to O'Khasis," Alex says and looks down at the letter. "I must write back to him. Laurance, please do escort me back to my chambers before you talk to father."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Alex's POV

I fear for my arrival has been in poor timing. Zane appears to be in poor health worrying my parents greatly. So much so that I have been placed to the side to tend to Zane's every beck and call. I fear he is held captive within his own chambers with doctor's in the palace for convenience.

He's grown pale, more so than normal. The doctors have said they are unsure what has come over Zane. With said, I am unsure how well treatment is going. Garroth and I have been in the dark when it comes to updates.

It appears all we can do is hope for improvements and quick recovery.

But as for you, mon amour, I am pleased to hear of your homecoming being one of welcoming. Although downturned at first, improvements have been made.

However, hearing of our letters being found worries me greatly. Even though your engagement has been placed on hold, a scandal may occur and put strains on our reputations. I fear your reputation would be the most in danger. Garroth has vowed to keep them a secret and that only his eyes has been known to cast themselves upon our writings. If only those dear to us whom we trust have read them, I can only hope that they remain to be a secret until our forever resting places. Until then, we shall go back to how we acted before our escapes.

It is with a bitter heart that I must end this letter with high hopes of your response. For it is your letters that bring joy to my days.

V. Ro'meave

Like many others, this letter becomes hidden. There's not much space under the fake bottom of the chest allowing the human eye to be fooled.

I only wish that when Laurance becomes king that he would convince the King of Scaleswind to continue to have Leo marry Y/N. I'm selfish, I know, but my heart has been stolen unintentionally.

I look over to my desk, reaching for paper and my quill. Wax is nearby with my stamp for when I finish.

It's dreadful to hear news like this about Zane. Laurance had told me soon after my arrival that everything and everyone was well. Garroth has only written to him days before my arrival. It's must've been so sudden for Zane to be in his current state. I do wish for quick recoveries with his health.

I have successfully covered our disappearance with lies of our whereabouts. During my arrival I spoke of writing to you only for Laurance to tell me of your disappearance. . . even if I do not agree with the king's resort of death to explain why you are not searched for.

As of right now, Laurance believes that we were not involved in our run aways. Sometimes I wish I would've stayed where we were, but Cadenza's wedding is something I could never forgive myself for if I had missed it. Laurance's is some time in the future, and there is no way of another disappearance. I was too selfish with the original one.

I can only hope that my engagement has come to a true end and father is open to suggestions with a new courtship. However, those chances are low since my father desires high power and claims he raised us to rule.

If there is a ball sometime soon as my father's desire is to be so, I can only hope to catch a glimpse of you. My dance card remains open for you.

A. Zvahl