chapter twenty seven

It's my wedding day today. You would think that the bride would be blushing. She'd be so happy that she wouldn't be able to contain her excitement.

All I can do is fake a smile to make it seem like I'm happy. That I'm happy that my groom is Prince Leonardo. He tried his hardest to woo me, and for a little while it worked. But now Laurance has managed to accidentally woo me to the point where Leo is no where near Laurance on the pedestal I have created.

And now Laurance doesn't want to come to my wedding. I understand that it's painful. To watch someone you love get married to someone else as you sit behind and watch it all happen. But now it makes me angry.

How dare he miss out on such an important day. Not because of me, but because of Meteli. The kingdom he is going to rule. The kingdom that he will be king of within a few months. How I am doing what I am doing for Meteli. For even though it is not my kingdom anymore, it is my home. It is where I was brought up and where my fondest memories rose from.

If he doesn't think that this doesn't hurt me as much as it hurts him, he isn't as intelligent as I thought he was.

Nicole has been sent into my chambers to help me prepare for my wedding. Everything that I have been working on for months has been put to life. The flowers, my dress, the decor, the food. Everything that I could ever desire is there. . . except one thing. One person.

Laurance.

Nicole looks to Victoria expectantly. Victoria walks over with my shift in hand. Nicole takes my dressing gown away from me and lazily throws it onto the back of my chair before walking to grab my shoes.

Nicole is fully dressed. It was Leo's idea for her to help dress me even if it seems improper. That way both Nicole and I both can bond as in laws before I am wedded off. He wishes for us to speak to one another even though we have remained silent. We both can tell that this isn't something I truly want.

I wonder what it's like for her. Her future husband running off to marry someone beneath her title.

I wonder what it's like for the whole family. Leonardo is thrown around like a rag doll from girl to girl only for him to be the last resort in the end. Having to look at a girl he somehow managed to fall in love with show up to his wedding with her husband and newborn.

How he doesn't know that he's marrying someone who isn't a true royal and an actual orphan. How he's marrying into a true scandal without knowing it.

I feel panic wash over me. My breathing goes ragged as I begin to look around for an escape. Nicole looks at me with wide eyes and orders for a window to be opened to let in fresh air. I'm half dressed before I grab onto my dressing gown and put in on.

I find myself running away from that room and to where Leonardo is readying myself. My knocks are frantic. Desperate for him to open the door.

He finally opens it with a shocked expression on his face. I'm half dressed, and we're not even married. It's understandable for his reaction.

Quickly he pulls me inside, trying to conceal me away from others before sending his servants away.

"What's the matter?" He asks, placing his hand on my shoulder. I feel my panic slowly begin to dismiss itself.

"I can't do this Leo. I'm so sorry."

"What do you mean?" He asks, his eyebrow furrowing in confusion. "Surely this is all just pre-wedding jitters. You'll be fine once we are wed."

I shake my head. "Oh, Leo. If only if you knew!" I shriek, feeling my head sink into my hands in pre shame. "I'm living in a lie. You're marrying a scandal! I couldn't possibly let you do that unknowingly. Leo, I'm not of royal blood. I'm an orphan that was sent in to portray the role of a princess for when Alex would've returned. . . if she would've returned."

He looks at me, his body slowly shaking. I'd understand if he would kick me out in my dressing gown. We've truly done something horrible. We're played him and his family for stupid and was successful.

It's a while before he talks again, wanting to know who knows. I tell him, promising no one else knows and that those who have are keeping it as a secret that will die with them.

He looks at me, somehow surprisingly understanding of what is happening.

"If I'm honest, I could cause absolute hell. There is so much I could do, but I won't. I'm so sick of gaining new fiancées. I'll stay true to my word of continuing good ties of Meteli no matter what happens. I'll marry you. But if the news gets out and makes Scaleswind look horrid, I will play dumb and expose you as a trickster."

I swallow the lump in my throat. "I better finished getting dressed."