chapter nineteen

There was anger running wild through Laurance's eyes. It swirled deep within clouding his judgement. The table remained quiet except of the sound of the chair's feet quickly being dragged backwards.

Laurance stands, not taking any time to flatten his apparel before he is seen taking long stride forward.

I step in front of him, placing my hand against his chest. He's warm, but I fear his temperature will rise from anger and steam will fly out of his ears. "Laurance, please calm down before you do anything hasty."

"I'm going to be king but yet my father believes that my suggestions are nonsense." He looks down at me, his eyes formed into slits. I feel a shiver run down my spin before letting out a soft gasp when I'm moved to the side. "Not that you'll ever know, but when you rule a kingdom you can't let others walk all over you."

Laurance is quick to leave the area. I turn back to Alex to see her looking up at me. "Meteli will burn before he gets the chance to rule," she sighs, bringing the teacup to her lips.

I look at her dumbfounded. How is it she's allowing her brother to fight her battles and remains seated sipping on a cup of tea? How can she say such words about a kingdom she's royalty to? My head shakes and my feet take over.

There's handfuls of fabric within my grasp while I can hear the clicking of my heels. I'm losing the proper way to breath, but I couldn't care less. I know these halls now. I know each turn and where they lead.

I know where Hayden's office is.

I know Laurance is there right now.

Standing outside of the entrance, I can hear muffled voices. They sound to be annoyed as they snap against each other with venom. I push open the heavy doors and walk inside with my head held high. My eyes glance at their shocked faces before focusing on a wall to not lose my confidence. Though, with the newly found adrenaline pumping through my vines I find that possibility to be near to zero.

"Get out." Hayden's voice booms off of his office walls. I've never truly seen his office. Paper scattered against his desk with wax an a quill nearby. Books thrown lazily on a nearby table. He stands behind his desk to show off his power against Laurance whom stands in front of it.

Ignoring his words I find myself walking closer to the desk, ignoring each pled in my mind to do as told and turn back now. "You constantly take Laurance from living a life of his own to work and then undermine him and do what you want to regardless if it's what's best for anyone else. You take everything from him and leave him with no choices but yet speak about how you're training him to be an excellent king!"

He looks at me, emotions mixing within him. Perhaps he's never had anyone speak to him the way I just have. Even I didn't expect those words to flee from my mouth. He looks at Laurance, his voice demanding. "Take care of her and show her that she does not speak to a king the way she is. There are consequences to actions!"

"Why would Laurance scold me when you claim that your ideas are far more superior?"

Hayden sharply turns to me, his footsteps without error and are quick as he storms over to me. I prepare myself for some form of physical contact. He's too angered to form a logical scolding.

"Don't you fucking touch her!" Laurance yells.

There's a loud smack of skin to skin contact that fills the air, but I fail to receive any pain sensation on any point of my body. My eyes open, and I can see the back of Laurance's head. He pulls me up against his chest and wraps his arms around me. I can feel his warmth engulf me. It's comforting.

I look up at Laurance to see his cheek be bright pink as he stares Hayden down. Hayden looks flabbergasted and looks from his hand to Laurance's cheek only to return from its original looking place.

"Leave at once. We'll have a talk about this later, Laurance."

No more words are said after that. Instead I hesitantly wrap my arm around Laurance's as he guides us out of the room and into the empty hallways.

Silence manages to fall over us as we slowly make our way down the hallway. My heart beats out of my chest. If it's from Laurance's touch or the situation, I may not know the true. I believe it to the the situation that just occurred, but it continues to beat quickly even as the adrenaline dies down.

"Why'd you do that for me?" I ask. Words fail me as they come out in hushed tones.

"Because I love you too much to let harm come to you."