1

"Can we keep him? Please?" Two sets of pleading eyes stared up at Dainsleif. 

"We don't have the spare cash to take care of a cat," Dainsleif sighed, holding his head in his hand. 

"Pretty please?" Aether stared up, giving his classic puppy-dog eyes. 

"I'll scoop out his litter and everything!" Lumine joined in. 

"It's not about-" the cat in Aether's arms mewled softly and looked up at Dainselif. It was wet, cold, shivering, and had a hurt eye. Fur too blue to be a normal cat. Was it that cold? The cat stretched out its paw toward Dainsleif, pressing it on his arm. He stared up at him. "Give him to me," Dainsleif held out his hands. Aether nodded and gave him the cat. Aether's hands weren't big enough to hold him properly. Dainsleif sighed, holding the cat close to his chest even though it was filthy. "We can take care of him until his eye heals. It's a good thing it's not serious. We can't afford to take him to a vet." 

Dainsleif turned on his heel with the twins following behind him. They walked all the way back to the house. 

...

Dainsleif filled up the kitchen sink with warm water and placed the cat inside it. Luckily, he was too weak to struggle and didn't mind getting wet. He washed the cat carefully of the dirt and grime and placed him on a towel resting on the counter. He dried him off, fur dried quickly, making the cat a lot fluffier than he was before. 

"You're looking better," Dainsleif patted his head. The cat purred quietly, nuzzling up against his hand. 

"I found the tuna!" Aether exclaimed, crawling out from the depths of the pantry. 

"I found the can opener!" Lumine smugly announced, placing her hands on her hips, proud of the mess she'd made on the counter after taking everything out of the drawer. 

"Lumine...Aether..." Dainsleif sighed, running his hand down his face. He didn't have enough energy to scold them right now. "Just...be careful to open the can without hurting yourself and scoop out the tuna onto a small plate so the cat doesn't hurt himself on the sides of the can." 

The twins nodded and started their master plan. However, opening the can proved to be too difficult since the can opener was old and slightly rusty. Dainsleif sighed again, opening it himself. He did exactly what he had instructed the twins to do and placed a plate of tuna in front of the cat. The cat looked up at him, as if to ask permission, and then began to eat. 

"I'll have to go to the store and get stuff to take care of him," Dainsleif thought out loud. "I'll ask Jean to watch you a bit later while I'm at work tomorrow." 

"We can watch ourselves!" Lumine huffed, puffing out her cheeks. 

"Please don't start this again," Dainsleif picked up the cat and carried it to his room. He grabbed a box and cut up some newspaper to try and make a makeshift litter box. Luckily his room was a master bedroom with its own personal bathroom. He put the box in there for the moment. Closing the door to his room, Dainsleif let out a long sigh and stripped out of his clothes, allowing them to fall on the ground. He went into the bathroom to take a shower and noticed the cat following him. 

"I just gave you your bath..." Dainsleif stared. The injured eye was closed, with one eye staring up at him. "Are you a cat that likes water?" Dainsleif asked. "Why am I talking to a cat?" He held his face in his hands and sat down on the side of the bathtub. "I've finally lost it." 

The cat began to purr quietly, nuzzling up against Dainsleif's leg for moral support. "You're really trying to get me to like you, hm?" Dainsleif leaned forward and picked up the cat. He stared at his face, holding him away from his chest, and the cat placed his paw under Dainsleif's eye. 

"Perceptive little thing, hm?" Dainsleif found himself smiling slightly. "I can barely see out of that eye. I suppose we are both a bit blind in our right eyes." The cat struggled to get out of Dainsleif's hands so he put him down on the ground. The critter jumped up onto his leg and placed both paws on his chest, licking Dainsleif's lower chin.

"What is this?" Dainsleif stared, confused. "I thought that was a dog thing." Dainsleif picked up the cat and placed him down on the ground again, standing up to step into the tub. He closed the shower curtain and turned on the water. 

"Do you enjoy the water that much?" Dainsleif turned around to see the cat at his feet in the tub. The water hitting his hair, making it fall into his eyes. Dainsleif brushed it back with his hand. He knelt down in front of the cat and pet him. "I've never seen a cat get into the shower before." 

Dainsleif stood up and tried to maneuver around the cat as he took his shower. Luckily, he didn't accidentally step on him. The cat skillfully avoided his feet. It was awkward, showering with an animal, especially one that appeared to watch his every move. "I feel like I'm getting eyed up by a cat...that's crazy...right?" he muttered, washing his hair.