11

"Who dares to enter our realm?" a dragon flew down to rest on the path between worlds. He blocked the area between Kaeya and the world they were headed to. 

"Stormterror, please allow us to pass," Kaeya spoke after giving the teapot to Fischl. 

"I have nothing against you, Prince, however the creatures in that teapot must return to their own world." 

"They are coming with me." 

"Humans are not allowed in our world. It is my job to uphold that pact." 

"Stormterror," Kaeya gritted his teeth and growled slightly. "Not all humans are fowl." 

"The children may pass but the adult may not. Adults are corrupt to the ways of the world. The children are innocent." Dvalin pointed his claw at the pot and forced Dainsleif out. 

"Oh god," Dainsleif fell on his ass and stared up at the monstrous dragon before him. "Kaeya?" he tried to focus his eyes but the inter-realm plane was messing with them. No, it wasn't that they were being messed with. Dainsleif covered his good eye and looked through his terribly nearsighted one. Staring at Dvalin he could see something radiating off of him. An aura of sorts. 

Dainsleif stood up and outstretched his hand. "Pardon me, Dvalin," he began and the dragon moved his face closer to him. "But-" 

"Mortal," his breath oozed hot air on Dainsleif's face. "How do you know my name?" 

"Huh?" Dainsleif glanced at Kaeya. 

"I have only called him Stormterror...and you were trapped in that teapot until now so don't look to me for help, Dain," Kaeya chuckled. 

"Ah," Dain placed his hand over his nearsighted eye and looked at Dvalin once again. "I don't have an answer for you about that. Your name came to me but please ignore that for now. There is something I need to tell you-" 

"Silence mortal." Dvalin examined him closely. "Prince, I might allow you to take this mortal with you under a condition." 

"What is your condition?" Kaeya asked. 

"Tradition dictates that humans must wear masks of eternal servitude." 

"You want me to collar him, is what you're saying," Kaeya snarled. 

"It is the only way to trust a species as dangerous as this." Dvalin outstretched his wings. "Did you forget what has been done to Fischl by these same humans?" 

"May I speak now?" Dainsleif stood up and raised his hand. 

"You may," Dvalin allowed it. 

"There is a poisonous shard attached to the base of your wings." 

"What nonsense do you speak? Certainly, I would feel such a thing." 

"I realize you have every right to doubt me," Dainsleif placed his hand on his chest. "But I am afraid even if I instruct Kaeya about its location it would only cause more damage. Should I put on the mask first? Kaeya can give me an order to do it. Such a mask would mean my death should I ignore an order, no?" 

"Did you get all of that from the name?" Kaeya suppressed the urge to feel proud of his favorite human. This was not the time for such things. 

"You show no resistance to the mask?" Dvalin found that hard to believe. 

"Do you have a mask?" Dainsleif asked Kaeya. 

"They're made with magic. Are you sure you've thought this through? It would mean abandoning the human world forever. You couldn't refuse a single thing I tell you and you'd be bound to me for as long as I'm alive." 

"I can't ask you to take the twins and send me back," Dainsleif said. "They're my responsibility." 

"Dain...this is a terrible time to make such a decision." 

"I need to get the shard." 

"What are you even talking about?" Kaeya looked at Dvalin. "I don't see what you're seeing." 

"Do you trust me?" Dainsleif asked. 

"Of course but..." 

"Please trust me," Dainsleif insisted. 

"Lean closer to me for a moment," Kaeya lifted his paw as Dainsleif leaned forward. He rested his paw on Dainsleif's face and muttered words in a language Dainsleif didn't quite catch. He understood pieces of it, for some reason, but not entirely. A black mask formed on Dainsleif's face once Kaeya removed his paw. 

"Don't perform some trickery while climbing Stormterror," Kaeya ordered. 

Dainsleif moved to Dvalin's arm and climbed. He reached the base of his wings and felt around for the shard. It was barely noticeable and much tinier than he had expected for having such an ominous aura. Once grabbing it, he slid off of Dvalin and held it in his hands. 

"That's..." Fischl gasped, pointing to the shard. 

"An abyssal shard..." Kaeya finished for her. 

Dainsleif wasn't sure what that meant but he knew it wasn't good. He took the shard in his hand and crushed it by forming a fist. Fischl's jaw dropped as he did this. "Mortals are definitely to be feared," she shuddered. 

"Hm?" Dainsleif didn't understand what was so shocking. 

"It's very difficult to crush anything from the abyss, even if such a small shard," Kaeya explained. 

"This mortal is dangerous," Dvalin warned. 

"This mortal just saved your life!" Kaeya snarled. "Let us pass, Stormterror." 

"Abyssal magic will not be held by the mask of servitude forever." 

"I swear to you, Dvalin, if Dain ever becomes a threat I will slay him myself," Kaeya insisted. 

"Very well," Dvalin flew back in the direction he came. 

"Back in the teapot with you, Mister," Fischl gestured. 

"This has been a hell of a day," Dainsleif muttered, being sucked into the teapot once again.