7

"I'm so sorry, Sir," Dainsleif apologized after dropping an entire plate of food on someone. The guy looked to be pretty important. "I'll get that cleaned right away for you." 

"Leave it," he stomped off and ignored Dainsleif completely. His manager walked over to Dainsleif and held out his hand. 

"Sir?" 

"Your apron and nametag. Hand it over." 

"I've been working here for years and you're going to fire me because I make one mistake?" Dainsleif spoke calmly so as not to make even more of a scene. He'd been picking up more shifts so he was more tired than usual. He hadn't seen the customer turn the corner. 

"That guy you just dropped food on is the C.E.O. of a big-time computer company. So, yes, you're fired." 

"I need this job-" 

"So does everyone else! Get your things and get out!" he pointed to the door and went back into the kitchen. 

Dainsleif grabbed his things and let out a long sigh. "What am I supposed to do?" he muttered, holding his face in his hands. 

He wandered the street trying to make his way back home. It was a long walk and usually by the time he got home he was dead tired. But, then again, he was always really tired. 

"You there!" a voice spoke from behind. Dainsleif turned to see a girl with an eyepatch and...was that a raven? "Have you seen this exalted personage?" She held up a rough sketch of what Dainsleif assumed to be a male. However, her drawing wasn't the best. 

"I'm not sure, sorry," Dainsleif replied. 

"Very well then! Carry on!" She walked straight past Dainsleif and continued on up ahead. 

"I can't even say that was the weirdest thing to happen to me in a while," Dainsleif held his chin, watching her leave. 

...

"You're home early!" Lumine and Aether said in unison running to Dainsleif for a hug. 

"Ah, mm, well," Dainsleif patted both of them on their heads and looked to Kaeya. He was currently leaning up against the wall, staring at the scene. 

"Can we watch a movie together tonight?" Aether looked up, grinning from ear to ear. 

"Will you make your special popcorn?" Lumine asked. 

"Why don't you two go pick out a movie then?" The twins nodded and ran off. 

"You don't have the rest of your uniform," Kaeya noticed. "Did something happen?" 

"I got fired," Dainsleif put it simply. 

"What? Why?!" 

"It doesn't matter..." 

"Yes it does! You were a great worker." 

"How would you know that?" Dainsleif asked, staring at Kaeya skeptically. 

"I can smell it on you. You're such a hard worker." Kaeya sniffed, his ear twitching. 

"It'll take me too long to find a job. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's been...hard to stay here for a while now." 

"Why don't you move then?" 

"I don't have anywhere to move to. I didn't want to just uproot the twins. They love this house. It's the last thing they have of-" Dainsleif sighed, holding the side of his head. 

"I'll get a job!" Kaeya grinned, determined. 

"What?" 

"I will!" 

"How? You're a cat. You don't have the proper paperwork." 

"There are jobs you can get without paperwork," Kaeya smirked. 

"No." 

"What? Why?" he whined. 

"Nothing illegal and I wouldn't ask you to..." Dainsleif didn't want to finish the sentence. 

"Oh? What were you thinking about? I just mean construction work or something," Kaeya hid his smirk behind his hand and watched Dainsleif get flustered. 

"No! I didn't- I- argh!" Dainsleif slapped both hands over his face and then turned to hide by standing in the corner. 

"Do you not think I'll make a good worker?" Kaeya leaned down and got in between the corner and Dainsleif. Now he was looking up at Dainsleif with his ears twitching, squatting in the small space on the floor between Dainsleif and the wall. 

"It's not that...it's just..." Dainsleif reached down and cupped Kaeya's furry ears. "Won't you get found out? Wouldn't that be bad? And what if the work is too hard." 

"You don't have many options, Dain." 

"Who is going to watch the twins if you work?" 

"You," Kaeya pointed. 

"But I need to get a job." 

"Do you have trust issues, Dain," Kaeya tilted his head, nuzzling his face into Dainsleif's hand. "Do you not trust me to be able to help you financially?" 

"That's not...it's not like that..." Dainsleif sighed, sinking to the floor. 

"You should let me take care of you," Kaeya insisted, hugging Dainsleif. His tail flicked back and forth. 

"I'm sorry." 

"It's going to be okay." 

"I'm sorry." 

"Dain," Kaeya's tail flicked back and forth. He cupped Dainsleif's face in his hands and kissed him. 

"Wha-" Dainsleif gasped, entirely shocked, so Kaeya slid his tongue into his mouth. He moved his hands from Dainsleif's face down to his torso. 

"Dain..." Kaeya stared at him, resting his forehead against Dainsleif's. "Will you trust me?" 

"Yes," Dainsleif reluctantly answered. "Just stay safe, please." 

"That's a good boy," Kaeya snickered, ruffling Dainsleif's hair. 

"Which one of us is the animal?" Dainsleif muttered, closing his eyes and sighing.