Chapter 4: Night Crawlers And Grounders

(Author's Note: Pic of a Night Crawler above, if the pic is not visible please let me know.) -Bri*

Brittany's POV:

I hear a quiet shuffling from Keith's side of the fire and I keep stock still. A few seconds later a loud gunshot rings through my ears and a loud whimper follows, so I jump up, bolting to Keith.

"Run!" He yells, shoving me forward in the right direction.

I have no idea how to tell where I'm going, it's completely pitch black because there is no moon light due to the clouds. Because of this, I'm stuck with following the light on Keith's wrist, which is now a glowing yellow.

I can't help the yelp that escapes my lips when I hear a ferocious growl emit from something behind me. I then feel the vibration in the ground as it gets closer, what I believe to be paws are pounding on the ground which tells me that whatever it is is big.

Just to be on the safe side, I pick my feet up a little higher when I run in order not to trip on any roots or rocks.

Keith wasn't joking when he said he had been here a long time, he knows where he's going... I hope.

I try to keep up as my breaths begin to come out more violently. "Keith! Where are we going?!" I yell.

"Just keep running!" He reply's.

I begin to freak out even more when I hear a second... no, a third pair of paws join the one chasing us. I begin to notice how I can now make out things better, the sun is rising.

I begin to slow down, having a hard time keeping up with Keith. The short, somewhat, break comes to an end when something snaps near my leg. I immediately regain speed and start to huff and puff.

"Hold on! Just a little farther!" Keith warns.

I don't have the breath to reply so I just keep running. A chest vibrating, ground shaking howl erupts from the forest, making me shiver.

My vision becoming more clear, I begin to notice that we're heading towards the cliffs.

My breath nearly stops completely when I notice that we're heading towards a dead end. A large rocky mountain side that has to be at least one hundred feet tall.

"Keith! What do we do?!" I yell.

"Climb!" He reply's, leaping for the nearest rocky edge when he reaches the mountain side and pulling himself up. I repeat his actions and don't look down as I pull myself up. I leap for the second ridge and just as I'm throwing my right leg over it something paws at my hanging left leg, causing a painful burning sensation to erupt from the top of my left hip to the knee.

I groan aloud but keep going, knowing much worse will come if I don't. After Keith stops, about two ridges ahead of me, he reaches down and helps pull me up. We're about thirty-five feet high.

I shove my back against the mountain on the thin ridge, the rock digging into my skin. I then look down at what was chasing us, but I regret it.

The wolf-like creature is horrific. It has to be about teen feet long and around eight feet tall. All three of them are solid black with a bone and muscle structure that I have never seen before. Their claws have to be about three inches long, their teeth razor sharp, about three inches long as well, and jagged with blood leaking down them and out of their mouths. They have patches of fur missing and bloody in some places, almost as if they have mange. The thing that scares me the most: their eyes. Their a bright glowing, dull green with no pupil.