60. I Have To Do This To Keep My Family Safe

The summer months dragged on as I came to terms with Cedric's death. I had plenty of visitors throughout the summer to keep me busy. Draco had practically moved in and was here every day. My parents had set up his room across the hall from me, and he was now like part of the furniture. Layla was here as well. Obviously, she lives here now, and Blaise came around at least three days a week. I had Daphne and Pansy visit as well. Theo I had seen a few times. He spent a lot of his time in his room like I did not really leaving it. Daphne had done for Theo what Draco did for me. Helped him heal.

It was the middle of August when I got a letter from Mrs Diggory asking me to visit her. It was not a visit I was looking forward to, but it was one I felt I needed.

So the next morning, I got myself ready to Floo over. "I will be right here when you get back, my darling," Draco said, kissing me. "I love you," I whispered. "And I you." Layla and Blaise waved me off. I stepped in and said the address.

I entered the Diggory's living room to see Mr & Mrs Diggory sitting in front of me. I hugged both of them. "How are you dear?" Mrs Diggory asked. "I am ok. How are you?" It was obvious but I asked anyway. "Empty" was Mr Diggory's reply. "We were just about to have tea. Will you have a cup with us?" I smiled. "I would love to." We drank tea and talked about Cedric. They told me what he was like as a child and showed me baby pictures. Mrs Diggory then took me up to see his room. She thought it would help me. I took a deep breath and opened his door.

I gasped at the sight that met me. 1,000s of photos of us and our friends. They covered the walls of the room. So many of our smiling faces. He was everywhere. "Wow!" I exclaimed. "He loved to show off his friends. Every time he sent me pictures, I would add them to his wall." Mrs Diggory said. "He loved you all more than words could say. I thought maybe you would like a couple. He also said you loved hoodies, so I thought maybe you would like some of his own. Take whatever you want."

She sniffed and handed me a bag. "Theo was here last week and took a few items as well." I walked around the room. I pulled out two of my favourite hoodies – a yellow one and a black one - and put them in my bag and his Quidditch jersey. I took a few of the pictures on the wall, a bottle of his cologne, and the music he wrote that was on his desk, which had my name on it.

I thought it would have been hard to take his things, but they felt like little reminders of him, and I was glad to have them. Mrs Diggory was adding to my bag as well. She gave me his prefect badge. His school notes and a black leather bracelet he always wore with his name engraved on it. "I have two more things I would like you to have, Isla." Mr Diggory sighed. "You do?" His wife nodded. "Yes, his tree house. It was his pride and joy that thing. Even though it's not actually in the tree. More underneath it. But he was so excited to show you and share it with you that my husband and I want you to have it."

"The other thing was this." She held up Cedric's guitar. "He told us about how you and he sat on the steps of the school, and he played while you sang. I would have loved to have seen that." I suddenly had an idea. "Is Mr Diggory still here?" I looked around. "Yes, I am here, dear. Are you ok?" I smiled. "I have a gift, sir. I want to show you what I can do. It might help." 

I took both Mr & Mrs Diggory's hands, and I closed my eyes. I started off by showing them all the memories I had with Cedric. When we met that night he saved me from falling, that night in the rain, us studying together, him telling me about how he loved his parents, telling me about our future and how he loved me. Every memory I could think of. I had so many wonderful memories to share. A dance we shared at the Yule Ball, posing for pictures with him, our meetups by the oak tree in school, and him telling me about his tree house. I finished showing them the memory of Cedric and me sitting on the school steps. Him playing while I sang, and him promising to teach me to play.