66. A Conversational Narcissist

Layla and I were packed and waiting for the boys to head down to catch the train. Theo had chosen to stay at school, and Daphne was going to keep him company. Pansy didn't want to go home either, so she was heading to Ireland to stay with Callumn's family. Something she was very nervous about.

I thought back to our argument this morning.

"What if they hate me?" Pansy sulked. "They won't, Pansy. Just be yourself." "But you hated me when we first met!" I laughed"You were trying to steal my man." "He wasn't your man at that stage." "As good as." "Isla, you're not helping."

"You're right... sorry. Just be your charming self, and everything will be fine." "You think so?" "I know so, and if you mess up really bad, we will obliviate them. Ok?" Pansy smiled for the first time in a few days. "Thanks, Isla." "No worries. Now go charm the pants off your future in-laws."

I was chuckling to myself when Draco came down the stairs. "What's so funny?" He asked. "Oh just me offering to obliviate Callumn's family if Pansy's meeting doesn't go well." Draco rolled his eyes. "Of course you did."

The train ride was very different in that we weren't all squashed on top of one another and actually had room to stretch out. I think we all even managed to have a snooze at one point. Before I knew it, we were back at King's Cross Station.

Layla and I had been instructed not to get off the train when it stopped at King's Cross Station but rather to wait in the compartment with the blinds shut. Draco kissed me, as did Blaise with Layla, and both boys left us. I was honestly getting quite anxious when Narcissa opened the compartment door. "Hurry no time to explain," she gasped. I just had enough time to grab my bag and Astra before Narcissa apparated us to the cottage. "I'll be back," she said before disappearing again.

Layla and I walked up to the cottage doors. The lights were all off as if no one was home. I tried to open the front door when the knocker clasp seemed to move and look me up and down before turning to Layla and doing the same.

Something was muttered inside, and the door opened to show my dad and Remus standing in the doorway. "What did Sirius Black teach you when you first arrived at this cottage?" Remus asked me. "What? Em...oh the extension charm. That's why we only have our backpacks home with us." Remus nodded, relieved. My dad turned to Layla. "Your dad used to work for me in my first shop. What did I tell you I used to call him?" I was lost. "A conversational narcissist," she giggled.

Both men stepped aside and let us into the house. "What was that about?" I asked, very confused. "I am sorry, love, but the Dark Lord sent people to see if you were on the train. He thought either your mum or me would go to collect you. Thank Merlin Narcissa was one of the volunteers as she was already going to get Draco. She checked the end of the train your compartment is in and apparated you quickly before going back and pretending to look for you."

"Oh..." We were lucky...this time. The thought of him wanting my family made my blood run cold. "Anyway, you are here now and safe, and that's all that matters." Layla and I left our bags upstairs before coming back down and joining Dad and Remus at the table. "Where's mum and Jaxon?" I asked. "Jaxon is asleep, and your mum went to headquarters to visit Mr Weasley." I perked up. "Oh, how is he?" My dad sighed. "Home, thank Merlin and doing well." "That's good," Layla answered.

Before long, Mum was back, and she wasn't alone. Narcissa was with her. I jumped to give my mum a hug and then Narcissa muttering a thank you for what she had done. "Oh my dear, of course. But they may check the train when you head back. You may need to think of alternative transport back to Hogwarts." My mum nodded. "I will speak to Kingsley tomorrow," Narcissa explained how she managed to convince the Dark Lord to allow her to search the train before hatching her plan and how she was able to pull it off. "It's lucky that they sent Mr Goyle with me. He hadn't a clue I left." I scoffed. "Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I see," I smirked before telling everyone of my run-in with Crabbe and Goyle.