Chapter Seven:

Monse's POV:
"Odessa's your sister?! You kissed your sister's boyfriend?!" Lola yells and Kyrie gives her a dirty look. "Definitely your son." I laugh. "But, I didn't know. Me and lil Spooky have a weird connection that doesn't make any sense but it's never happening again." I tell her. "Good." She nods. "Seriously, never again." I say and she sighs. "Monse, we both know I'm a human lie detector." Lola reminds me. "Just because I want it to happen doesn't mean I'll let it happen." My phone buzzes and I see a text from Odessa. "Apparently Ce-" I stop myself. "lil Spooky, still hasn't remembered it's Odessa's birthday so we're gonna hangout with her today." I tell Lola and she shakes her head. "You know I'd do anything for you but Ky's dad got out and one of his other baby mommas decided to throw him a party." She rolls her eyes. "You don't even like him, do you have to go?" I ask. "You're right, I don't like him, but Ky misses him and I have to be a good mom and take the high rode." She picks up her son and he smiles. "You excited?" I ask Kyrie and he nods quickly. "Daddy isn't in time out anymore." He smiles. "Ky hasn't seen his brothers and sisters in a while either so it'll be good for all of them." She twists one of his curls between her fingers. "How many siblings does Kyrie have?" I ask. "Three. Plus his dad... baby go put your bowl in the sink." Lola puts him down and he walks to the kitchen. "He paid off some guard so he got some 'special visits' with his girl and now she's like seven months pregnant. I heard she was jealous all these other girls had his kids and she didn't." Lola explains. "Isn't he like twenty?" I've heard about Ky's dad but I've never met him. According to Lola, he got arrested the same day she got pregnant. "Yup, but he's stupid." She rolls her eyes. "Damn well good luck with all that. If anyone can handle that kinda dysfunction it's you." I give her a hug and she take a deep breath. "Go, have fun with your new sister." She tells me. "Speaking of sisters, did CJ tell you?" I ask and she shakes her head. "Your sister is pregnant." I say and her eyes get wide. "Shit." She says and I nod. "Man, I'm basically your aunt!" Lola starts laughing and I do too. "Shut up, we don't need CJ or her baby for us to be family." I remind her and she agrees. "I know." Lola's smile fades when she sees her parents car pull up. "Kyrie, come say bye to Monse." She calls him over. Her parents hate me and everyone else. "Bye!" He runs up and hugs my legs. "Bye baby." I run my hands over his curls. I go to Ky's room at the back of the house so I can sneak through his window but I stop when I hear them fighting. "Loretta, who the hell told you to make this mess?!" Her mom screams. "It's just a plate." Lola knows talking back is always a risk. I hear a plate shatter and Kyrie starts crying. I just want to run out and check on Lola but I know it'll make things worse. "You're lucky they said we couldn't get custody of Kyrie 'cause if we did, you'd be out on your ass years ago!" Her dad yells. I leave the house before I get caught but I make sure to text her. They wanted to take Kyrie from Lola the day he was born but every judge and lawyer in California shuts them done. Lola's parents have a history of abuse and neglect, no one's gonna give them Kyrie but no one stopped them from getting Lola, CJ, and five other kids. I drive to Dwayne's Joint to meet with Odessa. The walls are covered with sports memorabilia and pictures of the family. It's mainly just Dwayne Turner during his glory days but there's a few pictures of Jamal and Odessa in football uniforms, Odessa in her cheerleading uniform, and a few of Dwayne's wife with politicians. "My dad's really proud of the whole family." Odessa walks up next to me. "I can see that." I smile. "He wanted to spend the day with me but I kinda needed a minute to process everything." She tells me. "I get it." I nod. "So, you used to play football?" I ask. "Yeah, for like three years in elementary school before my mom decided to put me in cheer. I loved football but I'm way to clumsy for that shit." She laughs. "I played softball for a few weeks before I realized I was not good at sports." I tell her. "This is what I wanna do for my birthday." She tells me. "What?" I ask. "Talk about everything. I kind of wanna get to know my sister." Odessa says. "Sure, I'll give you the whole Freeridge tour." I say. "And I'll give you the whole Beverly Hills tour." She tells me and I'm confused. "The Malibu house is where we go for fun... my dad really likes buying things he doesn't need." She laughs. Odessa always seems so happy, it's crazy we came from the same woman. "Well, there's a good place to start. That's my boyfriend." I point at Latrelle when he walks in. "He's cute." She says. "And he's taken." I remind her and we both laugh. "Hey." I kiss him. "Latrelle, this is Odessa... my sister." I say. "I know her." He frowns. "You do?" She asks. "You're lil Spooky's girl." He points out and I glare at him. "Oh, you're that Latrelle." She nods. "Monse, this might not be a good idea." Odessa's starting to realize who I run with. "Don't worry, we not gonna hurt you." Another guy laughs. "Enough." Latrelle tells him. "I'll stay at your way. See you around Monse." He walks passed me and I feel like I did something wrong but I know I didn't. "I know a good place to start." I tell Odessa. When we walk out I see her BMW parked outside and I shake my head. "We gotta take your care 'cause if we don't, Latrelle might steal it." I say, half joking. I drive us towards my high school and park by the football field. "This is where it all started for our dads... and our mom." I tell her and she furrows her brow.

Lola's POV:
I hold my son's hand and walk towards the party. There's kids everywhere and it actually looks safe. Even though I'm not scared for Ky's safety I'm scared to have to share my son for the first time. "Dada!" Kyrie let's go of my hand and runs to his dad and it breaks my heart. This is the first time he's seen his dad out of prison and I'm happy Ky gets to see him but he never leaves me like that. "Hey, thanks for bringing Ky." Spooky picks up our son. I look and see lil Spooky with some girl on his lap and I roll my eyes. The guys in this family are all the same.