Chapter 37:

Monse's POV:
My dad takes Mav and Mona home early so I can stay at the party but I hate being away from her. "How does it feel?" Lola sits with me. "What?" I ask. "Freedom." She laughs. "I love being a mom but oh my God if I have to go to another school thing for Ky I'm gonna start smoking again. He's in kindergarten so I spend way too much time with a shit ton of thirty year olds." Lola chugs her beer. "I love you and I love that you're back but I gotta go dance with my boyfriend." She smiles. Before she goes to Jamal she says something to Cesar and he comes over. "What'd she tell you?" I ask. "Said you were in a 'mommy bubble' and needing to get your 'hood back' or something." He laughs. "Of course she did. I told her the same thing after she had Kyrie." I finish the rest of my beer. "Call me crazy but sometimes I miss being in the life. I know this is what's best for Mona but it's boring." I laugh. "You're crazy." He hands me another Modelo. "Says the gangbanger." I laugh. "You literally tagged my house." He reminds me. "Mmm and then you got me pregnant. I win." I say. "Yeah but that was fun. Remember?" He smirks and slides his hand up my thigh. "Hey, how you feeling being back?" Vero stands on the other side of the table. "Good. Hopefully it'll just keep getting better." I smile and Cesar pushes my skirt up. "Definitely getting better." He licks his lips and I'm on the verge of punching him. "Cesar we gotta go. Spooky said we have a-" he stops her. "I'm busy. You guys can handle it." Cesar tells her. "Seriously? She's been back for five minutes and you're right back on your shit. Call me when you get your head outta your ass." She tells him. "What was she talking about?" I ask and he shakes his head. "Doesn't matter." He tries to kiss me and I pull back. "Tell me." I raise my brows and he moves his hand. "When we got together it was just about sex. I wanted to get over you whenever we weren't hooking up, I was talking about you. I didn't stop until she threatened to break up with me... six times." He tells me. "That is... the funniest shit I've ever heard." I laugh my ass off. "I'm sorry, that's really sweet." I put my hand on his cheek. He leans in but I stop him. "I told you, nothing happens until you dump your girl. Plus, what if someone sees?" I ask. "That's what you're worried about?" He whispers. "I don't wanna be that girl... again." I laugh. "You're not. We're in love, we have a kid, we're both kinda drunk... if anything Vero is that girl." He smiles. "So then who am I?" I ask. "The love of my life... Monse, tu eres mi vida." He says and I kiss him. "I gotta get home to my daughter but we can talk tomorrow." I tell him before I sneak out of my welcome home party. "You're not gonna be a problem for me, right?" Vero's leaning against my car when I get to the front of the house. "I like you Monse, but I know how you are. If you stole your sister's boyfriend I know you'll definitely steal mine." She tells me. "I'm literally just trying to get home." I get in my car. "I get that you're always gonna be around but that doesn't mean you guys have to get back together." She tells me. "Listen, I get where you're coming from but if he wants to get back with me it's, up to him. If you wanna be bitch, be a bitch to him." I drive away. "Dad I'm home." I know he's asleep but I still let him know. I sneak into my old room so I don't wake up the babies but they're both heavy sleepers. As soon as I lay down I get a text.
C: Vero took my car cool if I crash with you??
M: fine don't knock tho
A second later he literally does the one thing I asked him not to do. I start lecturing him right when I open the door. "You're gonna help me put both of them to sleep 'cause I swear to God-" I stop when I realize it isn't him. "Tell lil Spooky Thirteenth Street wants to talk. He walks away and I just stand there like an idiot. "I could hear the babies screaming from a block away." Cesar laughs when he gets to my door. "Help me put them to sleep." I drag him inside and I lock my door. "Hi Maverick." I pick up my brother and Cesar picks up Mona. "How do you make them sleep?" He yells over their crying. "Not by yelling!" I tell him. "You been back for a few hours and you're already throwing off Mav's sleeping schedule?!" My dad swings open the door.
After thirty minutes of straight chaos, Maverick went back to sleep in his crib and Mona's asleep in Cesar's arms. "Some guy came and knocked on my door. Said Thirteenth Street wanted to talk to you." I whisper and he nods. "I knew they would." Cesar doesn't even try to explain. "Let me put her back in the crib." I take my daughter back from Cesar and do my best to not wake her up. "You sure you're ready for this? Late nights with a screaming baby and being a gang leader usually don't mix." I say. "Spooky handled it." He tells me. "From prison."
I remind him. "Don't try and give me an out. I'm here for you and Mona and I'm not gonna going anywhere." He kisses my cheek. "Just making sure." I shrug. "I know." He says and I lean my head on his shoulder. "I'm naming the next one." Cesar whispers. "The next one? Who the hell told you there'd be a next one?" I ask and he laughs under his breath. "There's gonna be next one." Cesar tells me before he turns off my lamp.