Chapter Twenty-six:

Cesar's POV:
After I explained everything to Monse and told her about the few cops who work for the Santos, she left. She was pissed off and walked to Jasmine's but she left all her stuff here so at least I know she's coming back. I let Hammel take care of Latrelle until I can figure out how to kill him without pissing off Monse. Someone knocks and I know it her. "Just here to grab my phone." Monse walks right past me. "I don't get why you're so mad." I can tell I shouldn't have said that just by the way she turns around. "You don't get why I'm so mad?" Monse raises her eyebrows. "Cesar, your pet cop has been harassing us for at least a decade!" She yells. "I'm not the one who started it." I remind her. "Do you even understand how the cops treat people like me? They see a Black person and it doesn't matter if I'm a Prophet or not, I'm in danger." She acts like I don't get it. "You think Latinos don't get any of that?" I ask her. "I know you do but it's different! If you dress like you're from the suburbs they won't come for you... at least not as much. A Black person could be a doctor from the Hills and they'd still be seen as a violent thug." She grabs my arm. "This protects you way more than you know. You know my side of Freeridge is mainly Black and you still put everyone, even people who aren't Prophets, in danger! I know non-Black Latinos are targeted everyday but that's why we shouldn't be sending cops out on each other." Monse screams. "I didn't think-" she stops me. "That's the problem!" She grabs her phone and starts to go. "I'll keep the people who work for us off of your side." I tell her. "Good." I stop her from leaving. "What else can I do?" I ask. "Nothing, them being gone is a big help. I'm still pissed you got me arrested though." Monse says. "And you should be. Don't ever let me live it down." I wrap my arms around her. "This doesn't mean everything's fixed. I'm still kinda mad." Monse tells me and I nod. "Totally justified." I kiss her and she barely kisses me back. "I love you." I try not to say it too often so she doesn't get uncomfortable. "I know." She tries not to smile. My phone buzzes and I ignore it but then someone calls her. "It's Jamal." She picks it up right away. "Yeah... ok we'll meet you there." She puts down her phone. "Jamal found all these boxes in some gardening place, he wants us to go help him unlock them. He thinks it's connected to RollerWorld." She explains. I hope it takes as long as possible to find the money. When she leaves I know this is gonna be over but I know we gotta keep her safe.
When we get there Odessa, Jamal, Ruby, and Jasmine are all trying to unlock boxes. "Hey." Monse let's go of my hand when she knows they can see us. "Hi, Monse." Odessa smiles and then she rolls her eyes at me. "How are you still mad at me? I heard you and Pope started dating." I sit next to her. "Because you cheated on me with my sister. I wanted to work things out but thank God I didn't. Maybe cheating's just in your DNA." She gets up to grab another box. "Does she even know about you and Lola? Does Spooky?" Odessa whispers and I don't know why she's even trying to protect me. "No. What's the point of telling her if she's just gonna leave?" I ask Odessa. "Monse, there's an order to this! You're not just gonna pick up a box... and she found it." They all sigh and I laugh. "That's my girl, lucky as hell." I get up and kiss her. "Mmm I don't know about that." She narrows her eyes. "Maybe the universe is just giving me a break." Monse says. "Stop talking and tell me what's in the damn box!" Jamal ruins the moment and we both stare at him. "Leave them alone, they're just being cute! But seriously guys what's in the box." Jasmine says. "Oh wow, small paper." Odessa says sarcastically. "Great, at this point I'm about to just sell a couple organs. That would be less painful than all these damn clues!" Ruby looks like he's losing his mind. "They're coordinates." Monse and Jamal say it at the same time like it's obvious. "Ok well since y'all are so smart, what are they coordinates for?" Odessa's in a shitty mood.
We all drive down to Freeridge park. "What now?" I ask when me and Monse get outta my car. I'm surprised when she hugs my arm but I don't show it. "Glad you asked." Jamal pops his trunk. "Wait, Monse what's around your neck?" Odessa asks. "He gave it to me as a joke." She lets go. "Right." Odessa looks hurt.
**** 6 months ago ****
Odessa's getting ready in front of my bathroom mirror and I kiss her neck. "How are you so damn gorgeous?" I ask. "I love you." She turns and kisses me. "You forgot something." I say and Odessa looks confused. I take off my chain and put it around her neck. "You never let this thing go." She says while she squeezes the cross. "Yeah and I'm never gonna let you go. As long as I have you I'll have it with me." I tell her. She holds my face and kisses me.
**** Present ****
Odessa threw it at me when she came to drop off my stuff after the breakup. "A metal detector? Why the hell do you have a metal detector?" Jasmine asks Jamal and I snap out of it. "It's a big park, you think I'm just gonna dig the whole thing up?" He looks so serious. Me and Monse walk around looking for something "RollerWorld old" like Jamal told us to. "Odessa's pissed." Monse breaks the silence. "Yeah, probably my fault." I admit and she nods. "I know. She looks at me like she's angry, she looks at you like she wants to kill you." Monse says. We walk past a group of guys and they start to flirt with her. "Hey what's up?" One of them walks up to her. "You better not be talking to my girl. You know who I am?" I ask and he nods. "Didn't know she was your hyna." He starts to walk away and I grab the back of his shirt. "Apologize to her, not me." I tell him and he laughs. "You think this is funny?" I ask him. "Relax, I got this." Monse says. I let go of his shirt and she knees him in the balls. He falls so hard it hurts to watch. "Let's go!" She laughs and runs from him but he's still in a ball on the floor.