Chapter Sixteen:

Monse's POV:
Cesar leaves me at the back of the school and I walk alone back to my car. "Where'd you go?" Lola's leaning against my car. "Nowhere." I shrug. "You're a bad liar Monse." She says. "I got food with a friend." I shrug. "What friend? Last time I checked the Prophets stay on campus... you know what, the Santos stay here too, and 19th street, and every other gang in Freeridge. So why were you and lil Spooky the only two people missing?" She asks. "How do you even know that?" I laugh sarcastically. "Jasmine. Apparently we're the only two people who fucking know what matters! The Santos need him around to keep the fucking peace, Monse. He had a test during lunch once last year, you remember what happened?" She's not mad because we were together, she's mad that I put people in danger. "We all got in a fight." I mumble. "We all got in a god damn fight! They only listen to him and Spooky and last time I checked, Spooky isn't in high school!" She screams. "Get in the car." I tell her. "What are you mad about?" I ask when Lola closes her door. "Everything." She tells me. "Like?" I ask. "Putting everyone in danger, fucking with a Santo, cheating on one of my best friends, keeping this from me, fucking your sister's ex, do I have to continue?" She glares at me. "Don't. You slept with Spooky so I don't think you have-" she cuts me off. "I was a kid! Plus, I'm not technically a Prophet. Oh right, and I didn't put us in danger!" She screams. "Don't tell Latrelle." I bite the inside of my lip. "I won't but only 'cause you haven't told them who Ky's dad is. They find out and I know I lose any protection I have right now." Lola says. "Wait, you think I would hold that against you? I would never put you or Kyrie at risk." I start to drive us back home. "I know... but I also know you're sleeping with a guys who's killed Prophets." Lola's looking at me differently. "We haven't had sex yet and I think you're forgetting how many Santos Latrelle's killed. Oh and innocent people too, right?" I tilt my head but I keep my eyes on the road. "Wait, you seriously haven't done anything yet?" She asks. "I want to but he got shot, which I know you know, and before that things were even more complicated than they are now." I laugh. "So are you gonna keep seeing him?" She asks. "I'm not seeing him." I shrug. "You're not hooking up, you're not dating, so what are you?" She laughs. "Honestly, no idea. Technically all this is your fault for dragging me to Jamal's party." I remind her. "Speaking of Jamal, how's that going?" I ask. "Good, we're going out just me, him, and Ky this weekend." She smiles. "Stop trying to change the subject! What you did was stupid, and irresponsible, and selfish. If your thing is gonna hurt anyone then you don't do it. Next time, skip the first few classes, show up when Prophets and Santos are stuck together." She tells me. "Right, like you and Spooky did." I nod and she smacks my arm. "I'm just telling you to be careful and not to get caught. Latrelle doesn't forgive and we both know that." I pull up at my house and take a deep breath. "Yeah, just like if I fuck up this deal he won't forgive me." I tell her. "Monse, tonight isn't about him. We can't stay safe if we can't protect ourselves. We're smart enough to realize what happens if one of the other gangs finds out about this." Lola tells me and I nod. One of them already knows but I trust Cesar, he wouldn't put me in danger. "No one's gonna find out." I get outta my car and go into the house with Lola. "You sure you cool with this?" Latrelle pulls me into another room. "Yeah." I nod. "This is so stupid. I shouldn't have asked you for this." He runs his hand over his cornrows that I did over two weeks ago. "When I get back, remind me to fix your hair. My boyfriend can't be walking around looking like a fucking mess." I put my hand on my cheek and kiss him. It feels wrong but it's not like I don't have feelings for him. "Ok." He laughs. "How long until I gotta meet him?" I ask. "A couple hours. Lewi's gonna let you know everything you need to know about the deal and he's gonna give you the money." He says. "I know you didn't really have a choice but I'm glad you guys trust me for once." I mess with his jacket. "Can we talk about why Lewi isn't-" he stops me. "Doesn't matter. All that matters is he wants you to do it." Latrelle says. "And you don't?" I ask. "No, I want you to be safe but I don't get to decide what goes down." I know he fought to stop this. Whoever decided it would be a good idea for me to do this deal is either on my side or knows about me and Cesar. I walk into the living room and Lewi tells me everything. He puts the money in my backpack and I drive to the park. Everything goes down here, day or night. "Girl, it's been a while!" A girl pulls up next to me. "Follow my lead or everything goes to shit." She leans in my window and whispers. "Smile, get out of the car, and get in mine." She says and I do. "Rule number one of being an illegal arms dealer, open your trunk from the inside." She lowers her back row of seats. "So they don't see it go down." I nod. "Exactly." She smiles. This is way different than what I was expecting. "How old are you?" I ask. "Eighteen. It's my dad's business but LAPD is going after people like him... they don't think a teenage girl does this shit." She explains. "So how do we get them into my car?" I ask. "Slow down, I need the money." She says and I hand her my bag. "Good... so you're gonna load some in to your backpack, some go around your waistband, and the rest in this duffle bag. Keep the duffle bag upright and to your side so it'll blend in. Worst case, it'll look like a shadow to any cameras around here." She explains. "Smart." Start packing my bags and waistband. "Wait." She looks around. "Go." We both get out and I get in my car with the bag facing the fence. "Nice doing business with you." She leans in my car window. "Same, I kinda thought this would be harder." I laugh. "No, guys make everything complicated but this should be quick and easy." She shrugs. "Obviously." I laugh. "I don't know if I can ask this but, what's your name?" I ask her. "Pope." She says before she goes back in her car and drives away.
God fucking damn it.