Part Six

'The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.'

Proverbs 29:25

Megan Robinson had to admit that her father, however unreasonable, had got things right in so many ways. He had predicted that his new boss, a rather pompous, excitable middle aged man with a large nose, was a stickler for etiquette. Invitations stating black tie for gentlemen and formal evening attire for ladies required a special effort, according to Geoff Robinson, to avoid blotting his copybook, and there was no denying that Megan, Bethany and their mother had achieved the right tone. But Megan still did not understand why she had to go at all, as a director's cocktail party was not the sort of thing employee's daughters were usually invited to, and therefore she had dressed up with quite obvious reluctance. In the end, her mother had ordered her a dress from Marks & Spencer along the lines her dear sister had got so enthused about and she had been forced to cooperate. Her father had threatened not to sign her travel permit if she did not, and that would mean being stuck in the house all the time unless she was accompanied by him, or her mother, if he signed a permit for her, and she felt trapped enough as it was, without making things worse. She looked like some sort of refugee from a television costume drama and her little sister saying it was the latest fashion did not help her mood. Megan had no future, other than some dull marriage if she ever found someone her father would approve of, which considering she never met any men at all seemed almost impossible. Being stuck at school at her advanced age was simply torture, and being legally the responsibility of her father was becoming a nightmare.

"Girls do have it much easier now of course." Mr Simpson, the sales director of Ultrapure Plastics Ltd, and Mr Robinson's boring boss, said as he joined them, working the room like the consummate networker he obviously was. "Obviously it is an adjustment, but I do feel that the unemployment figures and the resulting benefit savings make it all worthwhile. I am sure you two are busy enough with school and church...as you should be."

"Yes sir, I help with the flowers and the Sunday School, and I am really enjoying studying Christian History." Bethany almost drooled, sucking up as her dear father expected, looking suitably demure in her salmon pink dress. Megan had an identical one, as they were both basically still children, at least in the eyes of the law, and that sort of thing seemed to be expected, by the sort of stupid people who cared about those kinds of things. Her mother bought countless fashion magazines and they all seemed to say that sisters should be dressed the same, like toddlers, until they married and left home. Megan did not care. Not at all, and she did not really care who knew it. She scowled at Mr Simpson, earning a furious stare from her mother. Her attitude was not pleasing her parents.

"So you should...the company is investing quite a lot of money in promoting the notion of Christian study...my own daughter is around your age, and she is trialling one of the latest courses. I think it is quite essential for the good wives of the future to be properly schooled in Christian theory and practise. I am sure we all believe in the government's plans for social change and Ultrapure is hoping to be a key partner in the future. Girls like you have to embrace your new expectations and educate yourselves accordingly. The company will be very pleased if our employees follow our example."

"Oh, that is so exciting...is your daughter here, Mr Simpson?" Mrs Robinson asked, smiling as if he was as clever as Einstein and as witty and entertaining as Winston Churchill all rolled into one. Megan had to stifle a groan.

"She is indeed...she will be part of my little surprise. Have you tried a Reformist Church for your worship, Mrs Robinson? My wife and I have found it a most inspiring environment for the family to worship in, and my daughter has made some very suitable friends. I am afraid the good old Church of England has rather lagged behind of late."