Part Nine

'Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.'

1 Peter 5:7

"This is too hard to predict...turnouts for local elections are often terrible." Peter Munroe sighed as he stared at his spreadsheet, trying to make some sense of the numbers. "It largely depends on us convincing enough of our natural supporters to actually get out of the house and vote."

"Have you had any more thoughts about the idea of following the Australian model?" The Prime Minister asked, leaning back in his chair and closing his eyes, fighting a migraine. His job was relentless. Margaret Thatcher had famously survived on four hours sleep a night and he knew why she needed to. There was always another red box, another crisis, another decision to be made. It was hard to ever stop and just think things through. He mostly had to rely on others to do the thinking and concentrate on making decisions. But he had started to think about a new voting system, after something Kieran Radcliffe presented to him caught his attention. A lot of the fresh ideas were coming from the young guns, like Harry Trevor and Radcliffe.

"Compulsory voting? I think we had a report done by someone on the options...why? Have you had some thoughts?"

"Yes I have, but it's not for now...I'll tell you when I am ready."

"How very mysterious, Grandpa," Munroe laughed and Buckingham smiled, letting his old friend and son-in-law tease him.

"Soon be four, the little monkey, and his aunt already is. I must confess I never thought of that sort of thing when I let you steal my daughter from me."

"It will keep you young Charles." Munroe laughed back. "But I must admit...getting back to the voting...that the amount of people who don't vote is disappointing. The general lack of engagement with politics is frightening..."

"No, my friend, the trick is getting the right people to vote." Buckingham said mysteriously, but he would not say anymore. He did not believe it was quite the right time. But Kieran's idea might one day be crucial to the future of the modern renaissance. It really would be a step too far for some people, but it was only an idea, and he did not want anyone else thinking about it until he had thought it through from every angle. "But right now, all we have to do is hold our own on the councils...replace the old Conservative's with our men and hold the current position against the others. The important thing is that we get it right when the general election comes around. There is too much to do to risk getting interrupted at this early stage in the process."

'Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.'

Ephesians 5:25

"Sir...thank you so much for agreeing to meet me," Kieran held out his hand as Stuart Ford walked purposefully towards him at exactly the appointed time. Radcliffe had suggesting a casual meeting in the Cathedral Gardens, which were quite peaceful on working days. Mr Ford had arranged to meet him during his lunch hour, earlier than most, on a day when the minister had business in Meadvale. Except that somehow Stuart Ford must have changed, as it was unlikely he wore a suit to collect the rubbish around the village.

"Pastor Winstanley recommended you, Mr Radcliffe...and I have seen you at services a few times of course," Ford said, not quite smiling as they shook hands, his size rather intimidating Radcliffe. Kieran was not unusually small, but Stuart Ford was a bear of a man with the look of someone who was used to working hard and long.

"Did he explain...?"

"Yes, Mr Radcliffe...please speak plainly...I know why we are here." Stuart Ford said and Radcliffe grinned, quite relieved that he did not have to bring the subject up at any rate. They began to walk, side by side.