Part Thirty-Four

September 2025

'And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.'

Colossians 3:17

Chloe Radcliffe attended the opening ceremony of Cranbrook College, to listen to Sir Harry Trevor's speech, and to watch her beloved Miss Scott start work in earnest, training over two hundred prospective guardians. Holding her husband's arm, she had a short guided tour of the facilities and sat in on one of the first lessons, one that she had helped write. Miss Scott had personally thanked her for her contributions to both her book and the curriculum of the new college, but in private. Chloe had received no other credit, certainly not in public, as Kieran considered it inappropriate for her to do so. He valued her input, and had humoured her sweet desire to help, but her expertise was a thing of the past, and he sent her home with Miss Harper to earn God's love whilst he headed off to the office. Chloe did not object, of course. She could not, in her muzzle, but even in her head she was an obedient wife. It was her heart that ached for something more.

Miss Scott had no time to worry about her former protégé and pupil, however. Her students had all been recommended by their schools as the crème de la crème, all from very suitable backgrounds, unlikely to be distracted by an attractive marriage proposal, as Miss Scott had no desire to create any more Chloe Ford's if she could help it. She considered dear Chloe fortunate, as she had undoubtedly married well above her original station in life, but a talent was also going to waste. Every young girl so far enrolled was funded by parents looking for a guardian for her daughter, and by the end of the course all would have been interviewed and be ready to start their new jobs as soon as they graduated from the college. Then a second batch would arrive to take their place. Her graduates would be highly sought after, well paid professionals operating in what was officially acknowledged as a suitable occupation for a female. Theirs would be a vocation, usually for life.

It was only a start. The initial intake would only study for months, because there was still a huge demand for new guardians. Miss Scott had planned both a one year course and a three year degree module. It was too early to push for that, but she planned to do so as soon as the time was right. Mr Buckingham had promised her that she could not train enough girls to cope with the new disciples being called to the doctrine and she intended the Crowthorne name to be synonymous with quality in due course. As she walked the corridors of her college, her heart swelled with pride.

'And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children.'

Isaiah 54:13

Megan's mother and sister came to tea at least once a week, and often more. Nigel needed a good strong relationship with the chairman of the elders committee, Geoff Robinson, so he was all in favour of the ladies remaining close, and he felt his wife enjoyed the odd harmless interlude. Megan was, to him at least, a fine example of what the Church could achieve in the future. Both of them came from reasonably humble beginnings, but he had been destined for the priesthood from an early age. Megan was on the other hand a true child of the modern renaissance. By marrying her, and displaying her perfect piety to his congregation, Nigel was showing what could be done. It was a good move for a lowly Pastor to whom the usual social rules of marriage did not really apply and he often included his wife's story in his sermons to encourage others. No doubt some people in the Church rose because of who they were, or who they knew, but the majority would do so by hard work, not by patronage. Bishop Murray was grateful to him for delivering Amelia Nicholson to him, and he had spent the resulting windfall wisely. His wife was undoubtedly the best dressed woman in Sevenoaks.

"Oh Megan, you look simply wonderful...your father and I are just so proud of you." Mrs Robinson sighed, sipping her tea as the Sister who had served it slipped quietly out of the room, leaving them in private. "Everyone is talking about that television programme and we are constantly being congratulated about your part in Sister Amelia's story...and Nigel is so well respected...it is truly remarkable."