Chapter 6 - Familiar Faces

Kaneki Pov

Karasuma had decided we needed to go out and buy me clothes so here we stood in the center of Tokyo with a massive crowd bustling around us.

It was strange because the layout of the city was the exact same but some of the actual buildings were completely different. We wandered around a bit going through stores and picking out some clothes. I leaned towards darker colours with my clothing choices and was slightly horrified when Karasuma suggested I try on what looked like a neon green shirt.

Let's just say it was refused immediately

When I felt like we had enough clothes Karasuma suggested we go take a bite to eat. I told him I wasn't feeling that hungry and instead would just prefer a coffee so he took us to this quaint little cafe.

"What was it like in America?" Karasuma asked me. I froze for a second before remembering I was supposed to be living with my friend there before coming here. "It was nice I guess but I missed the culture of Japan the most." Karasuma just nodded in reply, mindlessly pushing around what was left of the small pastry he had ordered.

I took a long sip of the warm coffee. It wasn't amazing but I could still appreciate the rich flavour of the coffee beans. I glanced around quickly when a familiar scent made its way towards me. I almost didn't notice him with the way that he blended into the shadows but the familiar form of Uta was staring at me.

When he saw that I had noticed him he nodded his head towards the restroom, a silent demand to talk. I quickly turned back to Karasuma and excused myself. I slipped through the mess of tables easily, my practise in working at Anteiku becoming useful after all.

When I reached the mens restroom I was pulled in quickly by a certain ghoul. Uta's eyes were hidden behind a pair of sunglasses but the hair and tattoos were unmistakable. "You're here too?" I asked quietly. The ghoul in front of me nodded carefully before finally speaking, "Listen, when you disappeared it seemed to set off a chain reaction as ghouls and humans alike have been mysteriously disappearing only to end up here."

I was deep in thought wondering what could have caused this when another worry struck me. "Wait, Everyone at Anteiku, are they still over there?" Uta nodded, causing me to sigh in relief.

"I know Arima and some other Doves have made it through to this world so we still need to be careful. Try not to eat any more than you need to because they are dead set on hunting us down." My mind thought back to me accepting the job, I was thankful I had as now I could help protect even some of my friends.

I brought my phone out of my pocket and handed it to him. Uta looked at me confused so I elaborated. "Put your number in my phone and I can communicate with you. The CCG have offered me and a few other kids a place in a team to hunt down ghouls. It will be easier for me to cover our tracks if I am on the inside."

Uta seemed to accept my answer and added his number to my phone with a smirk playing on his lips. When I looked at the profile he had made from himself I couldn't help but laugh. He had left his name as 'The Eternal Prince of Darkness and Shadow'. I rolled my eyes at him and he just gave me an 'Innocent' smile in return.

Shaking my head I quickly sent a message saying Hi so he would have my number as well. "Tell me if anyone important shows up" I told him walking away quickly because I realised I had been gone too long.

I returned to the table and sat down opposite Karasuma. I was deep in thought wondering what all of this meant. Why had we all been brought specifically here? What were we supposed to do? Would we ever get back? Who would be brought over next.