20| Now or Never

Nobody saw me take that shot. I just hoped nobody ever finds out that I did.

The lights went out just after Jacob drank, and I took the opportunity to down my drink. I needed it more than anything. A few minutes later, my mother called asking me to go back home because Cole was panicking and looking for me. I fumbled and hit the table as I walked around it, spilling various drinks and shots all over. It was not intentional, but I mentally high-fived myself, knowing that it somehow answered any questions about why my shot glass was empty.

When the electricity came back an hour later, I was already home lying on the couch in my brother's room. I don't know how long they stayed after I left. I just prayed they wouldn't figure out what I did.

After that night, Jacob invited me to hang out but I turned him down a couple of times before saying yes, not because I was playing hard to get but because I was unsure of myself. 

The first time, he brought me to the gym where he trained and introduced me to the other fighters.

"This place is pretty, uh, rough," I said, for the lack of a better word. It was located in an area in Makati that I usually just drove by because there didn't seem to be anything there. We had to walk a block from the main road to get to rows of apartments with chipping paint and many hangers-on. Behind the complex, there was a small gymnasium with a signboard.

The streetlights were just enough to light up where we were walking, though the neighborhood itself did not scream major danger. Just maybe a little, especially since we were walking at eight in the evening.

Inside, almost three-fourths of the floor area was covered in mats that had seen better days. Several punching bags hung in different areas around two center boxing rings. There were mirrors on the walls. One section had a makeshift gym with weights and a few machines. Another was dedicated to sparring or shadow fighting. A door led to what he said was the office, and another to the locker and shower rooms. Not to be snooty or judgmental, but I was surprised the place even had shower rooms. It wasn't dilapidated; it just wasn't what I was expecting.

He chuckled and just led me to the lockers where we changed. I stepped out of the locker in a plain white shirt and gym shorts and walked on the worn-out mats barefooted. He smiled broadly when he saw me inspecting the place with distrustful eyes.

"Stop judging. It doesn't look good on you," he whispered lowly to avoid being heard.

"I'm trying, but I also fear for my life," I said as I saw some of the guys eyeing me pejoratively. He saw them and just chuckled. He handed me two rolls of what I suppose were the things they use to wrap their hands.

"I assume you don't know how to put those on," he said.

"You are correct in that assumption," I chuckled. "Show me." I handed back one of the rolls and held on to the other, awaiting his demonstration on his hand so I could follow. However, he did something else.

"Here." He grinned, took the wrap, and held my free hand. Tingles erupted in my palms and fingers and made their way up to my chest where they proceeded to jolt my heart.

He began to wrap the tape around my hand, giving out instructions on how to do it as he did. My brain didn't follow. It short-circuited the moment he touched my hand. I looked at him occasionally though he was concentrating on wrapping my hand. When he was done, his bright eyes caught me staring blankly at him.

He raised an eyebrow and smirked. "Let me do this other one for you to save time."

My brain was barely aware that he was finished. I only came back to when he cleared his throat. I snatched my hand as I mumbled a quick thanks. I quickly turned away because, from the way my cheeks heated up, I knew I was about as red as a tomato and I could not let him see that.