Down the door once more

I turn around to reveal Jane. Her grey eyes piercing mine. I wonder what woke her up.

"Who's easy?" She asked me again.

"No one hunny. Just an expression. What are you doing awake? It's late." I ask her.

"I had a nightmare.", she peers over my shoulder. "Who are they?"

"They are...um....friends. They just moved into town."

"Oh ok. Can you come and tuck me in?" Jane asks me quietly.

"Yeah...yeah of course." I get off the couch and scoop her into my arms. She was 6 but still she didn't way much. I turn back to my little house guests "Stay here."
—————————————
"I'm back" I say to Josh and Deena.

"Is that your daughter?" Deena asks me.

"No it's my son." I say bluntly. Josh elbows Deena in a that-was-a-dumb-question-dumbass-it's-obvious way. I should be obvious. She takes after me. Her hair is as red as fire. Her eyes a pools of bright blue.

"I can't believe I had a freaking child with a fucking killer. Holy shit what will happen to her. She'll be scared for life. Her father dead!" I say to no one in particular. I slump against the back of the sofa and sigh.

"Wait we have to kill him?" Asked Josh.

I sit up and shoot him an odd look. "I thought we discussed this?" I ask them.

"Pretty sure we did. And even if we didn't, it didn't need to be fucking said! Jesus Josh. I thought you were the brains." Scolds Deena.

"Well step one to kill-sheriff-Goode is what?" Josh asks.

Then it hits me like a truck. Damn the devil messed my memory up good.

"The fucking door. In the study that takes us directly to witch town USA. Follow me." I motion them to get up and we go out of the lounge to hunt down the study.

We go down the long corridor and I find the oh so familiar doors. Where my life went down hill so quickly. I sigh and try to jimmie the door open but it's locked. Fuck.

"Check for a key." Deena suggests. So now we are looking under things, jumping to look at the top of the door way. Nothing.

"Wait if the door is locked.....then maybe Nick is in the tunnel." Josh says slowly.

"He's got a point." Says Deena. I nod in agreement.

"So let's be ready. Deena and Josh, find flashlights. I'll go get knives. Better to be armed right?" They nod and we go our separate ways.

I run into the kitchen and grab a handful knives. I looked at there shiny points and let a wave of horror wash over me. I was going to kill my husband. But it was no side to fret about that, so I push it aside. I will worry about future cosquenses consume me later.

I run up to the library and search for the golden book and pull it. The bookshelf moves to reveal an array of guns. I grab pistol and load it. I shove it into my jacket pocket and run off back to the library.

We meet again in front of the small door in the study. Deena and Josh were seated on the couch with flashlights. I sigh in relief. I place the knives on the floor.

We begin to shove knives in our pockets. I be careful to not let in to them that one of my pockets contained a gun. As Josh begins to pick up a flashlight, I stop him.

"Josh, i need you to stay with Jane. Make sure nothing happens to her. Please."

He looks a little confused. Contorted hie eyebrows as though he was thinking, then nodded. He stands up, takes a knife, and shoved it in his pocket. Deena joins my me at my side as we stand up.

She wraps her arms around his neck and he doesn't hesitate to hug back. "I'll see ya soon, androgynous baby."Josh says quietly.

My stomach does a dive as I remember the little time I had with Cindy. How I wasted every moment that could have been a wonderful moment I could have remembered forever. But it was thrown away. Thanks Nick.

After Deena let's go of Josh, a somewhat sorrow look on her face, I give Josh a small hug. No words needed to be said. It was a sorta a thank you hug that didn't need to be acknowledged.

Josh sighs and steps out of the office and out of view. Deena smiled at her little brother. I looked down at her face. She was ready.

"Let's go and kill the motherfucker."

I nod at her. My fear was overcome with other troubles. But regardless, I was ready. No more secrets. No more lies. No more Christine Berman-Goode.

Me and Deena move the couch out of the way of the door. I open the door. It seemed to have gotten smaller. I got on my hands and knees and crawled through the small opening, as Deena brought up the rear.

This is it.

————————————
Word count -860
The fact we are almost at 1000 READS!!!!! (From. When I am currently writing this) That is incredible. Thank you so much!  I love you all to the moon and back. 🥰

-Sarah