Chapter 3

Katya spoke to Hayley the following morning.

"Was it terrible?" asked Hayley, who seemed to be in the middle of having her daily coffee.

"Surprisingly, no," said Katya. "But I think he was um... interested in going further? He was respectful when he saw I didn't want to, but the way he was looking at me... I don't know, it was random."

"Would you have done it with him?"

"No, definitely not. He's got Vincent Griffith's body as a loaner. That's just a thousand levels of wrong. What if Vincent is actually able to see what Finn does and I'm not his type? It's disrespectful."

"And you're sure he didn't suspect anything?"

"I really don't think he did. I almost called him Finn on accident, but the 'F' and 'V' sounds were close enough that I made it seem like a bit of a Russian accent slipped out, so I guess he probably thought nothing of it. How did it go on your end?"

Hayley sighed. "Jackson didn't want to come with, so I brought along this werewolf guy named Ansel who helped me rescue Oliver. Turns out, said werewolf guy was Klaus's biological father, so that was random. Then, we found Elijah, and we couldn't wake him up. Esther showed up, she and Klaus argued, and I managed to get Ollie away, but he died in the Bayou later. Aiden and I want to take down Finn for good. His control over the wolves hasn't diminished in the slightest."

"Oh. Do you mean like... killing him?"

"No, we can't do that, he'll just body jump. I'm telling you this because... yesterday confirmed that you're his weak spot. Today... we'd like to use that to our advantage."

"What exactly are you planning?"

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to, Katya. Cami can—"

"I can do whatever you need me to do. This guy worships the woman who tried to sacrifice her own grandchild. I'll help you take him down." On the inside, she wondered if it was the right thing to do, but she refrained from voicing her inner monologue.

"Alright," said Hayley, sounding happy to hear this. "So, Marcel and I want to deliver the two brothers to Elijah and Klaus—"

"Hold on, two brothers?"

"Oh, shoot, I forgot to mention— their younger brother Kol is here, too, in a witch body."

"Wonderful. Did I get the better brother, or the worst brother?"

Hayley laughed. "Well, Kol is a lot more psychotic from what I heard, but Marcel says he's been flirting nonstop with Davina, the girl Cami and I told you about. So I'm guessing he's decent at the moment. Just wild. Finn, they call a dullard."

"Really? He doesn't seem that way to me. He makes decent conversation. Though, I suppose my perception is different, as a human. Especially as someone who isn't related to him. He hates his siblings, but he's probably chill with other people."

"And he has a massive crush on you."

"He does not have a crush on me. He might think I'm cute, but that's not the same as a full-on crush. Attraction is not the same as affection."

"Katya, according to Elijah and Klaus, this guy is one of the most boring individuals on the planet, and he's always being picky and rude to people, even when they're not related to him. He definitely has a crush on you if he's being nice."

Katya elected to change the subject. "Well, he won't have a crush on me when he finds out I helped take him down. What exactly do I need to do for that?"