❪ 𝟬𝟮𝟰 ❫

˚ ༘✶₊˚.                         ⊹ ˚ .  SECOND ACT
❪         TWENTY-FOUR      ♥︎    ₊˚༢࿐
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

  SECOND ACT❪         TWENTY-FOUR      ♥︎    ₊˚༢࿐▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

SAND BREEZED AGAINST THEM, mix with cold wind and debris. It slammed against their skin, and eyes, blinding them. In the darkness, Mae couldn't see much━every step she took sunk her lower into the sand. She could feel Thomas grip tight against her upper arm, keeping her close as they clawed up a hillside.

Teddy falls backward, and Frypan quickly grabs the little boy by his t-shirt before pulling him over the hill.

Mae reached over to Teddy, practically hovering over him in the attempt to shield his eyes from the intense sand storms.

She could feel Thomas push himself above both of them, telling the others to stay low.

She could hear the rumble of trucks get closer, even over the howling sand━obviously searching for them. And with a quick shout from Thomas, they moved faster down the hill.

She didn't know how long they were running but at some point, Teresa had rushed ahead, sliding down a hole somewhere in a pile of sand.

Thomas ushered for the rest to follow.

Minho clicks on a flashlight, sweeping it around the abandoned building, "Where the hell are we?"

"Are you okay?" Thomas runs up to Mae, his eyes shifting worriedly around her body for anything out of place.

Mae gave a small smile, "I'm alright." She turns her attention to Teddy, grabbing his face to inspect it, "Are you okay? No sand in your eyes?"

Teddy's face reddened at her motherly nature, having never experienced it after his parents died in the flare, "M'okay."

Thomas nods, "We gotta go." He tells them, already trying to move deeper into the building. No one followed, "We gotta keep moving!"

"No. Thomas, stop!" Teresa shouts, "Tell me what's going on."

"It's WICKED," He explains. "They lied to us. We never escaped. Me and Mae, we found bodies. Too many to count."

"It's true, Teresa," Mae adds softly. Teresa looks eyes with her before shifting them away.

"What do you mean?" Minho questions, "Dead bodies?"

"No, but they weren't alive either." Thomas continued, "They had them strung up. With tubes coming out of them. They were being drained."

Mae noticed the way Teresa slowly reached up to rub her neck. The blonde quickly reached forward and grabbed her forearm, giving it a gentle squeeze, "Are you alright?"

She nods quickly, saying nothing.

"There's something inside of us that WICKED wants, something in our blood. So we have to get as far away from them as possible." Thomas finished.