❪ 𝟬𝟯𝟮 ❫

˚ ༘✶₊˚. ⊹ ˚ . SECOND ACT
THIRTY-TWO ♥︎ ₊˚༢࿐
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     HER STOMACH CHURNED IN HER SLEEP with a sense of dread that made her eyes snap open from whatever deep sleep she was in

HER STOMACH CHURNED IN HER SLEEP with a sense of dread that made her eyes snap open from whatever deep sleep she was in. For a second, she was frozen, dazed from every memory that was ever taken away from her. It was back, it was all back and every last one of them made her head burn and spin.

She remembered being young. Her hair golden and down to her elbows in cute little braids held together by little blue bows.

She remembered skipping down the halls of the WICKED compound her parents were stationed in, singing the old tunes of the World before she was born, not understanding what any of the lyrics meant.

Mae remembered a boy named Stephen, who she pinky promised to remember his name for him until she inevitably forgot herself.

She remembered Teresa. Teresa had been her only friend before the others had come. She had done everything with her, told her every secret, every feeling she felt.

Which made her betrayal sting even more.

Not only that, she remembered her father. She remembered his warm rumbling laugh and his kind eyes. His every encouraging word until the day he passed on. He was the better of them. James never wanted to be a part of WICKED, not after he learned the truth.

What they were doing to those poor kids.

Mae remembered how badly she wanted to stop them. Her father had been so close and they got rid of him before he could tell the world. Which made her want to finish what he started even more.

But then, she remembered falling in that Box.

And failed.

Mae looked around, suddenly becoming aware that she was awake. She was also in a tent alone.

The tent was hardly standing, with gunshot holes and burns in the ceiling. As she laid on a makeshift bed, most likely where they patched Right Arm members up, her heart had sunk.

She felt a surge of something in her chest— a feeling that made her face scrunch together with fresh tears.

It was overwhelming.

She understood now. The feeling of betrayal she felt the day she woke up in the Box. At first, she thought the feeling stems from what Teresa had done to her when they were younger.

But that was only part of it.

The betrayal really stemmed deeper than that. It rooted the day her father died. It continued when her mother treated her differently after— oh god, her mother. Mae had never hated someone as much as she hated her mother and she understood why now.