❪ 𝟬𝟮𝟳 ❫

˚ ༘✶₊˚.                         ⊹ ˚ .  SECOND ACT
❪       TWENTY-SEVEN    ♥︎    ₊˚༢࿐
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     THE SEWERS SMELLED LIKE DEAD FLESH AND MOLDING METAL, making the blonde cover her nose with the sleeve of her jacket with a grimaced expression

     THE SEWERS SMELLED LIKE DEAD FLESH AND MOLDING METAL, making the blonde cover her nose with the sleeve of her jacket with a grimaced expression. Her flashlight fanned back and forth in front of her, illuminating a path that she hoped would lead her out. The tension between the three teenagers seemed to eat away at Mae, wanting to know more about the mysterious girl who had saved them on multiple occasions now.

     Thomas walked beside her, gnawing at his bottom lip to stop himself from asking all the questions running through his mind. His worry was set on the girl beside him, his gaze casting down to her through the corner of his eye every minute before shifting back to Brenda.

     "I think it's this way."

     Thomas furrowed his brow, "You think?"

     "Do you know where you're going?" Mae accused.

     "I have a general idea," Brenda responds. She glanced back at the blonde with her lips pinched together, indicating that she had the opposite of a general idea, "We'll figure it out," She settled on.

     "Brilliant," Mae muttered.

     "Did people live down here?" Thomas spoke.

     Brenda sighed, "The Solar Storms forced people underground. Jorge says there's settlements all over these tunnels," She explained.

     Thomas didn't seem satisfied, "So. What about Jorge? Is he your father?"

     "Close enough. Truth is, I don't really know what he is, just always been there." She admits.

     "He must really love you then," Mae says.

     Brenda shrugs, "I guess. I've always done what he's asked me to do, no matter how stupid."

     Thomas frowned, "So, you don't think the Right Arm's real?"

     The sound of a scream echoed the sewers, causing the three to jump and whirl around at the noise. Their flashlights exposed nothing in the darkness, and Mae didn't know whether that was a good thing or a horrible one.

     The feeling of Thomas touch lingered against her hand, the obvious twitch of wanting to hold it made her face burn with a weird feeling before pulling the hand up to her chest so he couldn't reach it. The exchanged was so quick that Thomas didn't register it.

     "I think," Brenda directs the question, continuing down the path, "Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope has killed more of my friends than the Flare and Scorch combined, I just thought Jorge was smarter than that."