❪ 𝟬𝟭𝟵 ❫

˚ ༘✶₊˚. ⊹ ˚ . FIRST ACT
NINETEEN ♥︎ ₊˚༢࿐
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     ALTHOUGH THE MAZE WAS LESS HORRIFYING DURING THE DAY, the eerie silence that followed each step made the group paranoid

ALTHOUGH THE MAZE WAS LESS HORRIFYING DURING THE DAY, the eerie silence that followed each step made the group paranoid. The gag that Grievers only came out during the night seemed to be the only thing keeping the Gladers from spiraling into a panic whenever they hear a pebble roll or a Wall shift.

Mae walked silently behind the boys, staring at the tips of her shoes while she fought back another wave of tears. The worst part about leaving Gally behind was that every part of her didn't want to turn back. Being so selfish felt horrible to Mae. She wished that things would have gone differently. But, nothing ever seemed to go her way.

"Are you okay?" Thomas asked her. He had slowed behind the group to talk to her, his hands twitching at his sides with the urge to hold hers. He knew that his question was stupid, obviously, Mae wasn't okay but he didn't know what else to say.

"I will be, once we get out of here." She said, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. There was a long silence between them before she looked up, "Can I ask you something?" She muttered. Thomas nods. "Do you remember what I did for them? WICKED I mean."

His eyebrows furrowed at the question, trying to search his brain for any clue. Not all of his memories came back during the Changing, just random events in flashes, some of them just feelings. He remembered seeing Mae on multiple occasions, mostly of her smiling or laughing. She was standing beside the Box and-- the Box.

"You were the one who put the supplies in the Box each week," He tells her. "I don't remember much else just that we were. . ." He trailed, his ears going red.

"We were what?" Mae pressed softly.

"We were together for a while," He admits, clearing his throat. "I think that's why we found each other so familiar. Why I felt so comfortable around you when I came up from the Box." And why I couldn't stop thinking about you, he thought.

Mae's face twisted up in a mixture of surprise and subconsciously reached for the ring around her pointer finger. "Why did they send me up into the Maze if I was the one in charge of giving them supplies?" She thought out loud, her lips tugging down. "I assume I wasn't a part of the experiments, I just worked there. . .so why me?" Then, she thought back to how she looked when she first arrived in the box. Her head was split open. Mae distinctly reached up to touch the small scar on her temple, "I must've fallen inside while I was restocking the Box for the week, and they must've not seen me and sent it up by mistake."

Thomas thought for a moment. Her question raised a light in the back of his mind, like he knew the answer but not completely. He couldn't remember the full story, just bits, and pieces. In the memories he was given back, he remembered Mae being there one minute and then suddenly gone the next. He felt sad, upset. But why?