Chapter 2 : anniversary surprise

( A.N: Hello everyone, I didn't expect this to get any sort of traction but here we are. Thank y'all so much! Leave any head canons you have of character, I need some details to add. Also, If you spot any grammar or spelling mistakes please let me know. Another thing, would y'all prefer gender neutral or female pronouns? Anyway, that's all enjoy)

     Before you knew it a year had passed in both the human and demon realm. Although you could go back home anytime you wanted, you had decided to ditch it all. Your home life wasn't as tolerable anymore after you had realized you could have a new one in the demon realm with Eda the Owl Lady. So after you had settled at the owl house and had gotten to know everyone that lived within, the next day you had decided to make one last trip to the human world to grab a few things.

     Spending one last evening with your family, you had grabbed a few items that you held near and dear. Your parents didn't even notice when you left that night with a big bag of stuff swung over your shoulder as you walked out the front door. They were too busy arguing with one another to realize you had walked put of their lives permanently. So with your bag from home, and the tote you had already stashed at the cabin, you left your human life behind to enter into a new world of grand opportunity. 

     Throughout the year you had many things happen. Eda had taken you under her wing to teach you the old ways of magic, and although you weren't very successful in your magical progress, you still found it interesting to say the least. The two of you had discovered that you could use magic imbued objects even without magic of your own. So with that knowledge she had crafted you a beautiful short sword engraved with ruins, giving the weapon different abilities depending on the motion you swing the blade in.

     Eda was more motherly than she would like to admit, but you found it comforting to finally have a stable parental figure in your life. She had made sure that you felt at home the first day you had arrived and even gave you your own room near the back of the house once you decided to stay indefinitely. Eda had made it clear that you could decorate the space any way you saw fit, even if it meant having weird posters on the walls. Eda had taken good care of you which meant you always felt obligated to help her even if she didn't need it. So you started helping out with sales at the market which was a whole different experience. Especially when you would have to make quick escapes from the guards.

     You also became close friends with Hooty who enjoys having someone to talk with and to listen to his stories. Although he would go on some outlandish topics, you found that his view on the world was a lot different than anyone else's in the owl house. It gave you a new perspective that you appreciated. Hooty became very attached to you in the sense that if you needed something quick, he would rush it to you. Even if that meant tripping Eda or King with his neck being stitching through the halls to make it to you.

     King was also very interesting to hang around, he would ask quite frequently if you would like to learn about demons. Which you, of course, would sit and listen to him for hours as he yammered on. Admittedly you would fall asleep on occasion, but he would make sure to wake you up with a stuffed animal smacking you in the face or back of the head. King had a tendency to sneak into your bed if he had a nightmare, but you never minded that much. He had grown an attachment to you and didn't want to lose you, so on occasion he would lay in your room in order to just be close to you.

     At one point in that first year of living there, you also had the chance to meet Eda's mother, Who was looking for a cure to your mentors' curse. The reason you were one of the few to know about the curse was due to a mishap when Eda had run out of her elixir, which led to her transforming in the woods and attacking you while training. Luckily you made it out with only a few light scars across your back and some bruises. After that incident, she made sure to explain everything and how to stop it from happening again. From that point on nothing that severe ever happened again, but you still kept a close eye out for Eda's symptoms. In order to make sure you always had elixirs on you, she enchanted your satchel to have an infinite amount of storage. She placed a second spell on the bag to make it convenient to summon objects out of the bag by simply thinking of an item and sticking your hand inside.

     To celebrate your "arrival to the isles" anniversary Eda had a full day planned for the two of you, plus King. You all had already spent most of the day at the fair in town playing games in hopes of winning a prize to take home, where Eda had planned on having a nice home-cooked meal with everyone.

     While leaving the busy fair to head home the three of yall decided to walk since it was a nice day by the boiling isles standards. "You didn't have to do this for me, Eda. After all you've done  for me in the last year, I should be the one throwing you a 'thanks for adopting me' party." You said holding King comfortably inside of a tote bag won at the carnaval, your usual satchel still thumping against your hip as you walked. Eda turned to you with a kind smile adorning her face.

     "Oh kid, you're the one that's done the most for me. Helping with both the shop and chores around the house, this is the least I could do." She said walking beside you down the street. The two of you had been walking for a good ten minutes before a voice rang out through the streets. Eda and you both looked at each other with worried expressions on your faces as the two of you saw people in white and gray uniforms with all matching bird masks surrounding you.

     "Eda the Owl Lady, you are under arrest for the mess use of magic and-" Before the guard could get another word out Eda pulled out her staff and drew a circle in the air. Everything happens at once, Eda was restrained by two larger guards which led to her dropping her palisman on the ground. King jumped out of the tote bag to help her which caused you to stumble backwards due to the force of his leap forward. You landed in the restraining arms of a guard which kept you from moving further forward to help. Jabbing your heel into your capture's foot you had enough time to pull out of their hold in order to turn around and kick them to the ground with a satisfying thud.

     With swift movements you snatched up Eda's staff and threw it to her. The now angry witch caught her weapon while simultaneously throwing her captures off in order to fight properly. She looked at you with a proud look which quickly turned determined as she kept fighting. Turning around you were faced with several guards charging at you with full speed. Reaching into your bag the short sword was summoned to your hand. You took up a fighting stance while swinging the sword in a circle above your head, causing a purple ring to appear.

    "Kid get out of here! Take King and run home NOW!" Eda yelled from behind you. Tossing a look over your shoulder you saw your mentor being thrown into a nearby tent and getting tangled up in its tattered fabric. Worry started to take hold as you stabbed the sword into the ground, despursing the magic circle above, releasing a wave of energy to break forth. The concussion of the spell caused the guards to fall to the ground as King dug Eda out of the now broken down tent. You instantly realized more guards were arriving at the scene, leaving no escape. Without thinking anything through you made a hasty decision.

     "Eda," you yelled before throwing a bottle of shimmering liquid on the ground in front of her. The glass that contained the liquid shattered on the ground releasing a red smoke to swarm its way around Eda and King. "They want you, not me. Get out of here. I'll see you soon." You shouted while smiling at your teacher. Eda looked scared, not for her saft, but for yours. Guards started to surround her once they realized she was getting away.

     "y/n wai-!" Eda's howl was cut off by King and herself fading from where they stood as they where transported to safety. A sigh of relief and defeat was released from your chest as you lowered yourself to the ground waiting to get taken captive. The guards started to fight amongst themselves over who was at fault for Eda's escape as you stayed kneeling on the ground to catch your breath. Two guards were soon enough hauling you off the ground and putting you in restraints in the back of a prison carte. You kept your eyes focused on the ground while thinking of all that must be happening at the Owl House after that moment.

Word Count : 1647