Arc 2. Chapter 2-8

Red eyes were not natural to human beings. Unlike other anime and manga, Zombie Time featured no strange hair or eye colors for humans, with the exception of Magi and their silver hair.

So, a person with red eyes indicated mixed ancestry. Naga and Garuda possessed red eyes, though the latter would very rarely, if ever, breed with someone from another species. However, it wasn't them people worried about when they saw red eyes on a person.

It was the Berserks.

Berserks always had red eyes, and they were dangerous. Extremely so. If you saw someone with red eyes, the first thing you would think was that they had mixed ancestry with a Berserk, and therefore, you shouldn't approach them.

That's what happened with Leith Castilla. His red eyes indicated he wasn't completely human, something that would be enough to turn more than a few heads wherever he went. I wasn't sure either, if he truly was descended from the Berserks or not, but given some traits of his personality, I wouldn't discard the possibility so easily.

Not that the Berserks ever appeared in the manga. But there were tales. Horrible tales.

The demons once fought against them and lost. It took the majority of the planet's races to unite and take them down, and yet, the Berserks did it on their own.

I gulped and took a step back.

"Now, there's no need to be so scared" the man spoke pleasantly, still smiling. "I know what you're thinking, and I assure you my heritage is from the Naga. There's nothing to worry about."

I wasn't worried about that... just partially. What worried me more was the role he played in the manga. He wasn't really a villain like the viscount... but he wasn't a good guy either. How to describe him... he was more like a wild card, always eager for a fight, aiding the heroes when it was convenient for him and antagonizing them when not... he wasn't really loyal to the King, either, only working for him due to a debt of sorts...

He was also totally my type. I had an album with pictures of him right beside the one about Naruto. I also had an album of Gilgamesh, now that I think about it. Both were blonds with red eyes, too... but taking that aside! The reason I was wary of him was because he was a complete lunatic with no sense of self-preservation. He was the one character I could never read and, though fascinating when it came to fiction, it was really inconvenient now that the manga was my reality.

And for some reason he was a little too interested in me. Why? There wasn't anything remotely interesting about me at a simple glance... maybe he recognized Lucas? What would we do if he decided to take Lucas to the King to serve a sentence too? He was illegitimate, and had no backing from a Duke. He was going to rot in prison!

"What do you want?" I asked, wanting to know the reason behind his interest. It was always better knowing than not, no?

"How rude, but alright, I'll tell you" he shrugged, tilting his head back and smirking. "Yesterday I slept in the room next to yours, and I heard you playing the violin before going to sleep. My question is; why do you infuse the music with magic?"

What? So that was it? That's why he's behaving so creepily? "I have trouble sleeping" I answered simply.

He raised an eyebrow. "Where did you learn such an advanced type of magic? It's not easy to infuse music with it. Even for those who have an affinity for it. Was it your grandfather who taught you, too?"

Advanced magic? Lucas never said anything about magic music being an advanced type of magic. And although it was kinda difficult to keep it up the first few times, I still managed to learn it in only one week.