Arc 1. Chapter 6-5

It was cold and humid.

I groaned as I opened my eyes slowly. My head hurt and my body felt as if it was made out of lead. I blinked a few times to reassure myself my eyes were open after seeing nothing but darkness greeting me.

"I..." my voice was raspy. I cleared my throat and tried to sit up. My hands slipped on the wet surface I was lying on and my head hit the ground as I fell back. I groaned in pain. "What the...?"

My memory was beginning to clear. Images flooded my mind one after another.

The viscount acquiring that demonic form.

Mathias piercing him with a sword.

Gale losing his leg.

The viscount taking me prisoner despite the fact that he should be dead.

And then, the two of us soaring to the sky, and my nerves hitting their maximum point as I fainted...

I tried to sit up again, this time being more careful. As the minutes passed I could see better, but just partially. From what I could gather this was... a cave? It was completely closed off. The walls shone a slight blue from some kind of mold growing on them. The rock at my right curved and from there I heard the sound of flowing water. From my left, a cave extended beyond, completely silent. There was no sign of the viscount.

I bit my lip. What should I do? I was trapped in a cave not knowing where direction to go, and worst of all, not knowing where my enemy was. That the viscount was nowhere to be seen, instead of appeasing me, just rattled me even more. Where was he? What was he doing? What was he planning to do with me?

One thing I knew for certain. If I stayed here without moving, sooner or later he would come for me or I would be trapped here forever. In other words, the least I could do was choosing a path and trying to find my way out. Closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, I chose the path to the right, from where I could hear the water.

With my left hand against the wall, I walked slowly, being careful not to slip. As I turned the corner of the cave, I saw what looked like a small stream running along the opposite side of the cavern. There was even more mold here, so the walls shone an even brighter blue. On the far right, I saw light, although weak. A small passage was there. Biting my lip, I decided to walk towards it, kneeling so I could pass through it. The small stream continued alongside me, wetting my clothes. Once I reached the other side, I slowly stood up; looking around to make sure it was safe.

Then, I gasped in surprise.

The cave opened and extended till it formed a clearing. The farthest part was open at the roof, letting the moonlight enter to illuminate a small lagoon formed from the water of the stream. Steps made of stone drew a way to a small construction in the middle. It looked like a pagoda, with its slipping ceiling and sturdy columns. It was open, with no walls surrounding the inside, from where I could see some kind of table and other structures I did not recognize, among them what looked like a statue of... something resembling a person.

Further, more steps leaded to the other side of the cave, where there was a small piece of dry land disconnected from the rest of the cave. There were a few trees, with their willowy branches touching the sandy ground, and just next to them... more steps, scaling the wall and leading outside!

My heart skipped a beat after seemingly finding a way out from this place. At the same time, my mind was wary. Where was the viscount? He couldn't just have left after bringing me all the way here. Something was up. I just didn't know what.

What should I do?

I had two options. The first one was staying here until the viscount decided to come back from wherever he went off to. The other was stepping into what could possibly be a trap and doing my best to be prepared for it. None of the options were to my liking. However, my body urged me to walk, to do something, and so, I walked to the edge of the lagoon.