Promises

NSFW warning, my peeps. Lock your doors and don't read this in school. ;)

Abby's POV

"Abby," a quiet voice whispers. I feel a warm hand stroke my hair. As I open my eyes, I see Rafe kneeling beside me near the bed. "Rafe," I whisper. He smiles. "You look so beautiful. The two of you." My eyebrows furrow. The two of who?

"Don't we?" a cold voice asks from behind me. My heart drops and I look behind me, seeing Kai laying right next to me, his throat slit but very much alive. Kai smiles at me and reaches into his pocket, pulling out a gun. He points it at me, and I shudder. "Kai-" My words are cut off by the sound of a gun firing.

My eyes open to see Kai smiling, no longer looking at me. When I turn back around, my heart drops again. Rafe lays on the ground, blood pooling from his head from the gunshot. "Rafe. No."

"Your turn, pretty girl," Kai smiles, pointing the gun at me, the barrel of his pistol touching the back of my head. "See you in hell, sugar."

"No!" I scream, jolting upright. Cold sweat drips down my body and my heart races as the image of Rafe dead floods my memory. A moment later, my bedroom door is being opened, Rafe rushing in. An involuntary sigh of relief passes my lips as I see him alive and okay. My breaths become irregular once more as the image of Kai alive comes into my mind. "Where's Kai? He's coming here. We have to leave," I stutter, getting out of bed.

I feel arms wrap around me, pulling me into a hard chest. "He's gone, Abby. I promise. Do you remember what happened last night?" I blink, unaware of what he is talking about before it all hits me. "My God," I gasp. He pulls away and cups my face in his warm hands. "He's gone. I took care of everything. It's over. I promise." I shake my head. "H-his father will come looking. He's going to know I killed him!"

I try to pull my face out of Rafe's hands, but he doesn't allow it. Instead, he forces me to look at him. "Do you trust me, Abby?" I look at him for a moment, freezing at his question. He saved my life. Of course, I trust him now. But I can't say it. If I do... It will mean something. "Abby, do you trust me?" His voice isn't threatening or harsh. It's gentle. Before I can answer, my head bobs up and down involuntarily. "Then trust me when I say, you are okay. It's over," he assures, stroking my cheek with his thumb.

"Are you okay?" I whisper, looking up at him. His eyebrows furrow. "Abby, I should be asking if you are ok-" "Just answer the fucking question, Rafe," I snarl, cutting him off. His eyes narrow. "What did you dream?" I shake my head, not wanting to answer his question, but he forces me to look at him again. "Tell me." I try to look away but only end up looking directly into his beautiful blue eyes. "You," I answer. "Kai killed you. And when I woke up, I didn't know if you were okay or not." He removes his hands from my face and pushes some of my hair behind my ear. "I'm okay. I promise, Absinthe."

As I look at him, my relief turns to anger. I bring my hand to his face, slapping him. He slowly places his hand on his cheek, his eyebrows furrowed. "Why the fuck did you listen to all of it? You purposely listened to everything I had to say," I sneer.

"I'm sorry."

I blink. What? "Wait what? No defending yourself? No cursing me out?" I ask, completely in disbelief. "I shouldn't have listened. I should have helped you before all of that. I was going to but when I heard what you said to him after he told you to plead your case, I had to know what you went through. I am sorry for that," he professes.

"That wasn't all you went through, was it?" he asks, prying after he just apologized for doing it. I want to smack him again but instead, I just shake my head. "All those things happened, most more than once but what I said was basically all of it."