Chapter Fifteen

After the lights went out, the Emcee introduces the Director, Nakiri Senzaemon onto stage for an opening speech. Senzaemon walks up the stage and takes a deep breath and let out a cough. 

"Di-Director...??"

"It's nothing. I just choked"

"Geez, don't overexert yourself" Futaba mumbles while facepalming. 

"Ahem! When I breathe in the place's atmosphere, I can feel my heart and body being surrounded by vitality. This venue is also known as Chandra's Room and by large, it is only used for Shokugeki between members of the Elite Ten.

To honor all of the people to has been in possession of the First Seat, it's our tradition to hang their portraits here. Many great matches and specialties were born here... For that very reason, they linger here like sediment, the continuous memories of battle!

Ladies and gentlemen! You will make history here! Let us meet again in this place, cooks of Totsuki Academy's 92 generation!!"

Students roared after Senzaemon's speech while Futaba simply eyes on the portraits of each and every one who has taken the First Seat.

"The First Seat... I'm coming for you, Eishi" Futaba mumbles as a mysterious aura starts to surround her. 

"We will now explain the rules of the preliminary rounds! The theme that you all would have received prior is 'Curry Dish'. You may use the ingredients inside the venue or bring your own. The time limit is three hours and only ten are able to advanced to the main tournament!" 

"That means only five per block are able to advance" says Hirose. 

"We ask that all participants promptly proceed to either Hall A or B this instant. An hour later, at 11am sharp, the preliminaries will start!"

With that, the participants quickly scatter to their blocks with Takumi saying that they shall meet again in the main tournament to which everyone responds with a smile or a smirk. 

"Hirose, I'll be waiting" says Futaba since she and Hirose are in separate blocks. 

"I'll be there" says Hirose. 

After the participants settled down in the respective halls and kitchen, the Emcee has announced to begin cooking and the battle is on. 

In the A block, Sendawara Natsume makes a late entrance who will be the Head Judge for the preliminaries. In the A block, there is Ikumi, Ryo, Soma, Akira, Hirose, Shun and Ryoko. 

In the B block, twin sister of Sendawara Natsume, Sendawara Orie, is the Head Judge for the preliminary round. In the B block, there is Futaba, Takumi, Isami, Yuki, Alice, Hisako and Megumi. 

Takumi suddenly catches the attention of the audience when they notice that he is making pasta dough. Takumi then uses his mezzaluna to cut the pasta. 

As a group discuss about Takumi, another had their eyes on Isami who is filling the bottom of the pot with tomatoes. 

Yuki proceeds to frying her duck meat and also adding in the spices, where the aroma soon engulfs the arena. 

As the audience are taken aback by each and every student's cooking methods, Futaba smirks as she speedily spice up her curry dish, where the aroma overtakes the whole arena. 

"W-Woahh, that smells good!"

"It's got to taste delicious!"

"It smells like Asian curry"

"Polar Star fighting!!!"

Just then, everyone gasp with surprised. Futaba then looks around to see that Megumi has brought out her secret ingredient, goose fish and what's more, Megumi plans of chopping it while hanged. 

'Hanging and cutting goose fish... A traditional way of cutting goosefish. Heh, good luck Megumi' Futaba thought as she continues to focus on her dish. 

Before cutting, Megumi prays while trying to gain some of Soma's courage. Megumi breaths as she holds the knife and begins to the cut fish effortlessly and flawlessly, surprising the students and judges. 

Soon, time was up and the Emcee for the Block B Preliminaries is Urara. She then goes on to explain that there will be 5 judges where each and give up to 20 points, total making up to 100. The best five who gets the highest score are able to proceed to the main tournament. 

The first candidate serves his dishes to the judges. They were all smiles and with praises and compliment. However, Futaba knew better of their standards. 33 points. They complimented and praised his dish as a student, not a chef.

The next few candidates served their dishes but none could get past 50. Until a really strenuous smell engulfs the arena. Even Futaba could faint from this! She held her nose as she tries not to breath. 

"What is this stench?!" Sendawara Orie questions as she pinches her nose. 

"Hehe... This is Sadatsuka Nao's special, Jet Black Curry Laksa!" 

"YUCK! IT STINKS!"

"IT SMELLS LIKE CONCENTRATE SEWAGE WATER!"

The whole arena begin to complain about the smell, including the judges. Futaba was starting to feel a little dizzy from the awful smell. She could faint anytime. 

"The foulest of stenches! It can't be--!"

"That's right. I used kusuya" says Sadatsuka. 

'Kusuya... A type of dried dish which is the Izu Island's specialty. Made by pickling sardines or other blueblack fish in kusuya juice and letting it dry in the sun' Futaba thought. 

'O-Oh no... I'm getting dizzy' Futaba's vision was getting blurry but she holds herself up. 

After a bit more commotion from the judges, they stop when they realize Sendawara Orie is about to have a taste of the dish.

"O-Orie-sama! Are you really going to eat it?!"

"I-I'm just fulfilling my duties" She says.

As she struggles with the horrible stench, she slowly takes the first bite. After a moment of silence, her eyes widen. 

"I-It's... Delicious?"