Chapter Nine

The next morning, Futaba was well rested and she was preparing for her second day. Today, she is with her brother in Hinako's class. 

"Futaba, are you sure your wrist is fine? No need to push yourself okay?" Hirose ask. 

"I'll be fine Hirose" says Futaba. 

Later Hinako gives a briefing to the students, where they must make use of the ingredients available as long as they don't go over the fence. 

"What dish do we make?" Hirose ask and Futaba takes a quick scan around the area.

"Follow me" says Futaba and she quickly runs out of the kitchen with her brother following behind. 

Futaba and Hirose quickly managed to secure the ingredients they needed and getting started. Even though Futaba was suppose to do less of the work, she ended up doing most, opposite of what Hirose hoped for. 

The twins created Yakitori. Although simple, Hinako praises the twins and passes them, while disclaiming that she passed them not because of their personal relationship, but based on their cooking skills. 

When night falls, the Polar Star kids were gathered at the lobby when they realized that Soma and Megumi weren't around. Daigo and Shoji then gathered information, saying that Soma had challenged Shinomiya to a Shokugeki to save Megumi from expulsion. 

Hearing this, Futaba makes her way around to figure out where could they be at when she got invited by Hinako to the Shokugeki at an annex basement away from the resort. 

"E-Ehh?! W-Why are the alumnis here? And Futaba too?!" Megumi ask. 

"Why are you here and not resting?" Shinomiya ask. 

"Heard about a Shokugeki so I had to come" says Futaba as she walks closer to Shinomiya.

"Especially if it involves expulsion of my friend" Futaba speaks with a menacing glare. 

"An unofficial Shokugeki in the middle of training camp. An alumni versus a student too" says Donato. 

"It'll be bad if Chapelle=sensei finds out" says Sekimori. 

"If we found out, I'll run. And put the blame on Shinomiya" Mizuhara says with a straight face while sitting  on the chair like how Death Note's L does. 

"I heard you Mizuhara!!" Shinomiya says with an irk mark. 

"Starting now, we'll have a 2-vs-1 unofficial Shokugeki match. Use the leftover vegetables to make a dish. Main ingredient is vegetables. Furthermore I'll put one more condition. Tadokoro Megumi, you are the Lead Chef while Yukihira Soma is the Sous Chef" says Dojima. 

Megumi and Soma are completely taken aback by the sudden condition. Futaba understood where Dojima was coming from. Megumi should know, she can't rely on Soma forever. 

"Let the Shokugeki, begin!"

"Wait Dojima-senpai! I'm the one who requested the Shokugeki!" says Soma. 

"Soma. Megumi" Futaba called. 

"Listen, my next few words may sound harsh but you trust me do you?" Futaba ask. 

Megumi slowly nods and Soma follows. 

"I understand where Dojima-san is coming from. This is Totsuki Academy, Megumi can't reply on you forever Soma. When the time comes, she'll need to do it alone. Now is a good time for her to be prepared on what's to come after this" says Futaba.

"A-After this?" Megumi ask. 

"Autumn Selections. Stagiare. These two mainly require solo chefs. Megumi, I trust that you'll be able to pass. Show them how you do it" Futaba says. 

Megumi shakes as she turns to look at the ingredients. But she was shaking too much and Shinomiya had already thought of a dish to make and went ahead. 

"Kojiro-san, a note for you" says Futaba as she looks at Shinomiya. 

"A taste of home of Megumi's dish" Shinomiya's eyes widen and also confused at her words. But she simply says nothing more as she takes a seat beside Hinako who is being tied up. 

Just then, a loud piak was heard. Megumi's hands are red but she had stopped shaking. She calms down and later told Soma of what she decides to make. The two then got started. 

After long, both sides were done with their dishes and Shinomiya served his first. 

"Hmm. Chou farci" says Futaba.

"If I recall that is a native dish from the Auvergne region of France. A dish where you stuff cabbage leaves with minced meat or vegetables and wrap them up and then steam it"

'Chou farci... This is so not his type of dish' Futaba thought. 

Futaba eventually takes a bite from Mizuhara's plate since he didn't serve it to Futaba and Hinako. Futaba's eyes widen in realization.

'Kojiro-san... You're...'

Next up was the food made by Megumi. Futaba sniffs and drools but quickly wipes it off before anyone else could see. 

"Wahh~ This is a terrine!" Hinako exclaims. 

"Y-Yes! I've decided to make use of seven different vegetables, known as Rainbow Terrine" says Megumi. 

Without further quickly, Futaba takes a bite of Megumi's dish. Even if she doesn't react, Futaba could feel the warmth. As the others take a bite of their dish, they eventually complimented on how delicious Megumi's dish was. 

They went on to explain how the vegetables was in harmony and they ended up giving Megumi various of nicknames base on yokai theme. 

"Alright, let's come to a verdict. One coin represents one vote" says Dojima. 

Megumi closes her eyes as Mizuhara, Donato and Sekimori each place a coin on the plate. Much to Megumi and Soma's disappointment, the gap between Megumi and Shinomiya is far. 

"I'm sorry Tadokoro. But you did great" Soma comforts with a smile. 

Megumi cries as Futaba goes and pull her into a hug, not saying anything as she turns her gaze to Shinomiya. He smirks. Futaba remain unfazed. He was about to leave when a coin was placed on Megumi's plate. 

"What is the meaning of this? Dojima-san?" Shinomiya questions. 

"Oh, I simply just want to acknowledge this dish" says Dojima. 

"Huh? What do you even mean by that? You're not even an official judge" says Shinomiya. 

"You don't understand now do you?" Dojima ask as he flicks a coin towards Shinomiya where he successfully catches it. 

"The answer lies in the dish that Tadokoro-kun made" says Dojima and he turns to Futaba.

"Kojiro-san" Futaba called. 

"What?"

"You're... Stagnating aren't you?" Shinomiya's eyes widen at Futaba's revelation.