Chapter 8

You opened your eyes groggily, your eyes trying to adjust to the dark but your ears seemed to be doing a better job, picking up the faint sound of Harry talking over the phone from your kitchen, most probably

You opened your eyes groggily, your eyes trying to adjust to the dark but your ears seemed to be doing a better job, picking up the faint sound of Harry talking over the phone from your kitchen, most probably. You creased your brows, feeling for your phone on the nightstand and picked it up to see it was only 4:07 in the morning. Who was he talking to at 4:07 in the morning?

Not that it was any of your business... but you just couldn't help the sting you felt as that question inevitably popped into your mind. You tried prickling up your ears but you couldn't make out any words. You slowly got up and fished a nightgown you usually only wore during summers out of your dresser; suddenly you felt a bit weird sitting there all naked while he was talking on the phone to God knows who. You got back in bed, but sat back against the headboard, waiting. Maybe it should've been wiser to just pretend to still be asleep when he got back. But it was too late now, you could hear him tiptoeing his way back.

When he saw you standing there, he just stood by the door, his shoulders slouching somewhat; you noticed he'd gotten his pants back on "I'm sorry I woke you up" he muttered. His voice was grave, he was clearly upset. You hadn't really heard that tone from him before.

"It's all right. Did... anything happen?"

He huffed, walking his way towards the bed "I have to go"

"Oh... Ok?"

"It's Emily"

"Oh!- Wait. Is she in trouble?"

He picked up his shirt off the floor and buttoned it down hurriedly "I honestly can't even think straight, 'm so fucking angry" you could barely hear him muttering under his breath, his voice was venomous right at the end there. You saw it then, he was trying to keep his temper in check for your sake.

"Harry. What happened? Do you want me to drive? You shouldn't be driving. I can tell you're livid"

He shook his head "No, I'm fine"

"You're not fine" it was your turn to use that phrase on him "At least let me call you an uber"

"Y/N" the way he said your name made you freeze in your place and then he exhaled audibly, a more gentle tone following "Don't worry. All right?" he gave you a long look after getting his shoes on, sitting at the edge of the bed beside you "I really hate to do this, but I really need to go. She's at some stupid new year's party... your idiot brother fucking left her there"

You gasped "Oh my God. I'm going to kill him!" You knew your brother was going to be in your hometown for New Year's. He bragged about it ever since Thanksgiving. As far as you knew, he was planning on renting out a cabin in an area that was very familiar to you with his highschool friends; you'd gone to your share of parties held at those exact cabins yourself, back in the day. But you didn't know any other details. Why hadn't Emily called her mother to come pick her up, though? You had so many questions but this was not the time, obviously it would've just riled him up even more.