Chapter Four: "Midnight Terrors"

Warning(s): a/b/o, lil' bit of romantic teasing

Disclaimer: Merlin is not mine unfortunately

Bold is the Alpha voice being used.

Italics in "quotations" is past words or words that are being read in the person's head/thoughts.

Author's Note: Sorry I've been gone for so long, my girlfriend was up for the week. Enjoy this chapter :)

The future was a mystery.

Merlin knew of the prophecy, and how he must assist Arthur into greatness to which he would behold.

Yet, thinking that now, it seemed so far away; and he wasn't impatient to it.

If Arthur was to become the once and future King of Camelot, he surely wouldn't have Merlin by his side at that point.

An Omega.

Just saying it made him anxious, the meaning stung his tongue and he felt as though everyone knew who he really was.

The secret was to never be told, but now the Prince knew. Yes, he was his best friend and yes, he'd trust no other; but this secret seemed too powerful to keep.

In a world like their own.

Knights, warriors, royal families, whichever else that became one of the most difficult obstacles in his life, was all provoking Arthur into this state of possessiveness.

There was never at least twenty minutes on his own without Arthur appearing to make sure he was okay, or even worse, dead.

It was very dramatic, Merlin had been doing this for years by now, and Arthur was acting as if it were something that came out of thin air.

Well, in the Prince's defense, it was.

Merlin grew up handling this side of him, constant fear and battling that phobia behind a facade of lies, which was the easiest thing to do and always had been; but now, Arthur was making his deep, depressed feelings so much more apparent.

It was terrifying, to finally experience this awful awakening. The darkness inside his chest was spreading and crawling like an evil, desperate demon, screaming of what he was. The monster he created of himself.

Everything that had kept him ignorant was gradually disappearing, and that was terribly wrong.

Nights were, now, especially becoming a challenge that he couldn't overcome. They were becoming longer, exhausting, painful.

This one night, he had awoken in a cold-sweat, the series of tears that had once crawled down his cheeks were starting up again; his breathing grew hoarse, coughing away the painful itch in his throat before moving in his bed to sit up.

Merlin inhaled raggedly and tried to calm his heart. It was agony, as if he had been forced to run a never-ending race, or fight a constant battle.

Hearing the sound of knights outside made him cold, he wrapped himself in his own embrace and got to his feet. He had to keep his scent under control.

It was so difficult though, he argued with himself in his head. How could he feel so tired yet so awake?

Merlin's eyes set on his bedroom door, his gaze wavering and breathing messy. Gaius had to rest, and Arthur–

The Sorcerer's thoughts flew. The Prince. Arthur had an important council meeting tomorrow, and the ball sometime after, he needed sleep, Merlin did also if he was to wake him up early with breakfast, and help out with the dance.