CHAPTER 20

Xerxes :

There were very few times in our lives when we ever panicked and somehow those few times had Xenia as the center peice of our panick and I didn't like it one bit.

Over the years she had grown so beautiful and kind and gentle and sweet and adorable and the list could go on and on for as long as possible and yet I wouldn't be able to complete it.

It got me wondering if  there  was a chance that if we'd done something different from the very beginning that maybe it would have been a little different than it was.

Right now I watched in absolute devastation as she was trying and failing at controlling her breath in her sleep, the idea of inducing her in a healthier illusion kept playing around my head but I was afraid, it wasn't difficult because all I needed was to put her in a happier and healthier illusion that would make it seem like her reality, it was easy but I had caused enough pain to do something against her will one more time.

    "Do it Xerxes, there is something you both must see and I'm sure she wouldn't want us see it just yet"
Xyon whispered before pulling something out of his pocket and passed it to Xavier who flipped the case open only to find a disk placed carefully inside with our names written boldly on it with Xenia's initials boldly stamped on it.

I didn't need to be told twice before I quickly placed my hands on her head and began linking our minds in search of her happy place except it wasn't a place,  it was people and those people were us.

There was only one memory stored in her happy place and it was the time when we took her to get ice-cream because we'd been threatened by our mother, we had been glaring at her for insisting so much but eventually we decided to just play along, we hadn't played with her or anything but we made sure to get her whatever she wanted or even stared at for a long time.

Eventually we smiled when she began jumping about in the field and running about with the pack children, we had smiled because we thought she didn't notice us anymore but who would have thought that those times  had become her happy place.

If I'd known, I would have made it better for her but no, I allowed us push things so far that now it was costing us our own mate.
Soon enough I was able to create the illusion that she was back in that place where it was just the four of us and those happy children and thankfully it had worked because she stopped wheezing and began to relax her body while I slowly retracted my self and joined my brothers in the sitting room who had the television turned on with a video of Xenia placed on a pause.

Why did Xenia do a video?
Was she okay? What was going on? So many questions but no  answer to them. So to reduce my torment  I pressed the play button before taking a sit beside Xyon.

There she sat in what looked like a beach recliner looking chair, her long hair all neatly pulled in a ponytail, dressed in a beautiful form fitting dress but for some reason I didn't like it on her, I think I'd truly prefer seeing her in those matching sweats she always wore, they made her look carefree and beautiful.

    "Hey Boys"
She began before erupting into fits of giggles while Elaine joined her somewhere in the background which meant she was the one filming.

   "I always loved hearing mom call her mates that and I know if I dare call you that in your faces I'll definitely be toast"
She giggled again and I can swear that I wanted nothing more than to hear her do that everyday for the rest of our lives.

   "You know, I always wondered what it'll be like actually been your mate."
She stopped and looked up at what I could tell was an open sky.

   "Leave us"
She said to obviously Elaine who in no time came and hugged her real tight before walking away.
After some moments she looked back at the camera and smiled softly.

     "I guess we'll never find out because if  you are watching this then it means that in the end, nothing saved me."
She stopped and took deep breaths.

    "Over the years I watched you from afar, diving into different areas of your lives, achieving your dreams and bringing your aspirations to a reality and I was so proud of you every step of the way."
She stopped and picked up something from the corner before lifting it up and we saw a gift box in her hands.

  "Xyon, I remember when you finally opened that clothing line you always used to rave about, I remember the pride and satisfaction you felt when you walked that stage and the excitement in your eyes when everything was working according to plan, I remember how you never stopped yelling: 'I worked far too hard for this to be ruined by your human inefficiencies, disappoint me and you can kiss your careers goodbye'"
She laughed and without even realizing it, the three of us laughed at her attempt at mimicking Xyons voice.

  "At the end I watched as you beamed with so much excitement that nothing could ruin your night, not even me, I know you never got to see me because I hid pretty well myself and my scent because I wanted you to be happy to the very end, I guess it's the reason I never got to give you this"
She said, lifting the box in her hands to the camera before twisting it in her hands and smiled.

" I had no idea what to get a man who had basically everything so I hope it's good enough, Congratulations on everything you've achieved in my presence and the ones you'll achieve in my absence and I'm sorry I wasn't what you wanted in a mate."
She stopped for a second and put down the box before looking back at the camera.