22 - Pleasure is Simple

AN ; hey look at this, another chapter that I dislike aha but you know what that means? the chapter after this one will be out tomorrow! and I have noticed your comments wanting the next chapters so I didn't want to hold off posting it any longer even if I don't like it very much, so I hope you enjoy!

I'll do the same as the last 'steamy' chapter, if this subject is something that makes you uncomfortable I'll mark the beginning and the end of the spicy stuff with ~~~~ so you can skip it if you prefer. 

----

You returned to your room, finding it empty, assuming that meant Childe was still busy with 'business'. You knew that the fatui population in Mondstadt was smaller than Liyue by a large margin, but seemingly it was large enough that a harbinger had things to attend to while present.

You moved to your open window, resting your hands on the sill as you looked out at the darkening sky above the city. You thought on the words Venti had given you.

You couldn't be sure what the fatui were planning, nor what their goal was, you would never get that information out of Childe but you also trusted that for as long as he was able he would keep you safe from the fatuis plans. But that didn't keep you safe from your own curiousity and heroic intent to protect as many people as you could as they had protected you when you arrived here.

The door creaked open behind you, startling you, but before you could turn a voice called out "don't turn around"

"Childe?" despite his instructions you found yourself turning to face him. He stood by the door of your room, blood splashed across his uniform and smeared over his cheek "are you okay?!-"

"I told you not to turn around" he sighed, grinning as he added "don't worry, it's not my blood"

You watched him silently as he started to remove his blood soaked coat, disgarding it to the side as he unbuttoned his red shirt -you were unsure if it was also patterned with blood due to its already red colour-. Once his shirt was off, he used the fabric to wipe the blood from his face before dropping it alongside his coat.

From your position at the other side of the room you could see the countless scars that decorated his skin, their slight silvery colouring catching the dim light "how long have you been fighting for?" you asked suddenly.

He looked over to you, glancing down at himself as he noticed your eyes on his torso "since I was 13" he shrugged "fell into the abyss around that time, spent a few months in there and then, . . my parents decided I would benefit from some military experience and handed me over to the fatui. Started from the bottom, barely a foot solider, and now, here I am, 11th of the Fatui Harbingers"

"You're parents handed you over to the Fatui?"

"I don't blame them" he muttered "I needed the outlet, after I came back from the abyss I wasn't the same. Fighting others to get stronger or to benefit the Tsaritsa became a life line, something to fill the void of what was missing in me"

"Missing?"

He nodded "I can't explain it, but the boy who fell into the abyss wasn't the same boy who crawled back out" he let out a sigh, before giving you a smile "it's okay, my parents love it when I visit them now, my servitude to the Tsaritsa has made them proud, and I get to protect my siblings by fighting on the front lines"

"That's one way to look at it" you agreed.

He approached you, moving to stand in front of you, bending at the waist as he lowered to better meet your height "you know, I find that you take up a place in that missing space, too" he rested his forehead against yours, remaining their for a moment. With his closeness you could smell the faint metallic scent from the barely dried blood that still coated parts of his skin.