24 - Close Call

You arrived in Liyue as the sun was beginning to rise, the harbour starting to awaken for the day ahead.

The regular folk of Liyue weren't the only ones who were starting their days as you turned a corner with more haste than intended only to run immediently into a familiar figure.

"Ah, traveler?" he inquired, a light frown on his features "what brings you to Liyue this earning in the morn?" he sounded almost concerned at your sudden appearance.

"Oh Mr Zhongli, it's good to see you again" you greeted as you righted your bag that had slipped from your shoulders from the small collison.

Something clattered to the ground by your feet.

"Allow me" Zhongli offered.

"Ah wait-!" before you could fully protest, Zhongli had already wrapped his hand around the trinket. His frown deepened as he recognised the badge he held in his hand before his eyes turned to you "I can explain-"

He shook his head, quickly hiding the badge within his coat as he ushered for you to follow him through the streets.

You followed him in silence, not questioning him even when he lead you into the back of a small elegantly decorated teashop. The hostess greeted you both warmly before taking you to a private table that was seperated from the rest of the teahouse by a painted screen.

Zhongli waited until the hostess had disappeared and you were comfortably seated before he spoke "forgive me for being bold, but what is going on? and why do you have such a thing on your person?"

You took a deep sigh, you could try to spin some bended version of the truth to Zhongli, but you considered the man a friend that you held on a similar podium to Venti and you didn't want to be decieving to him. Zhongli was intelligent and understanding so surely he would understand your position and your reasoning for coming here.

You told him of the recent events in Mondstadt and that you had reason to believe something just as bad, if not worse, was going to happen in Liyue, and that despite many warnings you couldn't ignore it, even if all you could do was find out what and why.

Zhongli sipped at his tea "hmm, I see" he placed his cup down gently, pausing before speaking again "you are playing a dangerous game, I am sure you are more than aware of who Childe is and who he serves. Are you aware of what will happen to you if Childe finds out what you're doing?"

"I know, but-"

"Then, what is it you intent to do once you reach the Northland bank? show them the badge and walk in without question?"

"I- I don't know but I won't let anyone come to harm. Even if that means I am killed for interferring, then, so be it" you declared confidently.

Zhongli was silent for a few moments before he released a long sigh "allow me to propose a thought"

"Propose a thought?"

"Yes, a contract, in fact" he clarified "I shall assist you in getting inside the Northland Bank so you may find what you are hoping for, but in return, at the first sign of danger to your life, you must run. Protect yourself"

"What about the people of Liyue? I want to-"

"Trust in the strength that Morax gave to Liyue, he may be gone but I assure you he has left valuable and trusted retainers behind"

You thought it over. Being able to get inside the Northland Bank was your current goal, and you could be careful enough to stay out of sight so you didn't have to flee should you encounter anyone trying to take your life because of your actions. It was a good deal, right?