26 - 'That which lies in the deep'

AN// its short I know, bare with me I am aiming to finish this story before we reach its one year anniversary but I also have a convention coming up and for some reason I enjoy suffering and have left myself with four weeks to make two cosplays so I mean I'm sure you can imagine the pain I am going through,  anyway, behold, a new chapter!

****

You collapsed to your knees, just managing to catch yourself before your face smashed into the floor with an outstretched hand and the tip of your sword.

You felt the dull ache of after-battle already settling into your bones, a few streams of blood snaking down your forearms and filtering through your splayed fingers, a larger stream running down your cheek.

Though your injuries weren't as extensive as the first time you had battled Childe, he was still just out of reach in terms of battle prowess.

He crouched in front of you, his hand gently resting on your head "you're skills have improved, that was quite the fight you put up" you could hear the grin without needing to look up at him, not that the grin had left his features throughout the entire event.

"Best seven out of thirteen?" you asked between short breaths. 

His fingers hooked beneath your chin, the small brusies on the back of his hand from where you managed a few blows with the hilt of your sword were blooming quickly under his skin, he tilted your face to look up at him, gentle pressing his lips against yours. He wiped the small spot of blood that had transfered from your split lip to his with the back of his free hand, his expression softening as he continued to look at you, still recovering your breathing to a steady pace.

"Please, go back to Mondstadt, where you'll be safe" he spoke.

You nodded, slightly defeated but willinging to honour your word. He helped you to your feet and as you regained your balance on your own you requested softly "don't hurt anyone here"

Childe sighed as he looked away from you, his voice darkening slightly "I won't hurt anyone here" he promised "but it was never me hurting anyone that you had to worry about"

The ground beneath you started to shake, the mora piled around the golden house starting to rattle as the vibrations caused them to displace. You frowned, looking to Childe who remained looking away from you before you moved to run for the door.

You burst out of the Golden house, seeing the darkened skies and hearing the screams from the people of Liyue. You ignored Childes shouts for you not to go, taking off towards the harbour.

As you rounded the hills, with the harbour in view you felt your chest tighten in fear as you saw the large tentacles threatening the harbour. What kind of monster was this? how did the Fatui get their hands on such a power?

And to what end was it for?

You glanced back towards the Golden House, half expecting to see Childe watching you, you had promised him you'd leave and not interfere, but as you heard the cries of confused terrified innocents you couldn't ignore them. Not when you could help, even if all you could do was help those that were being caught in the middle.

As long as you didn't touch the sea monster you weren't interfering, right?

With that loophole to your agreement with Childe, you started running again, heading for the harbour, assisting those on their way out of the city as you passed them by. You'd go back to Mondstadt after this, Childe would just have to deal with your continued defiance of his wishes for just a little longer.

As you weaved your way through the able fleeing people, occassionally stopping to assit those that had fallen or were stuck in their buildings due to the ground shakes causing some of the buildings to patially crumble and block doorways.