daggers #33

JUSTIN'S P.O.V

*5 years ago*

"saan ka nila dadalhin, pa?" i asked my dad as soon as he went out of the interrogation room. him and mom got arrested and were taken to the police station 3 hours ago and i still don't have the slightest idea why.

he didn't answer. dad just held my shoulders as he pulled me to sit down on the benches by the hallway. i desperately stared at his eyes that looked lost and exhausted. he couldn't seem to look at me which made me long even more for an answer.

"pa... ikukulong ka po ba nila?" i held his arms tight. papa placed a gentle hand on my shoulder again and rubbed it, trying to comfort me but it seems like it only made me feel more anxious.

"bujah.." he finally called out and i attentively listened, not wanting to miss out a word that he's about to say.

"tandaan mo... hindi man naging maganda ang mga desisyon ko sa buhay..... marami man akong nagawa na lubos kong pinagsisisihan.... tatandaan mo palagi na kahit kailan, hinding hindi ako magsisisi na naging anak kita. lagi't lagi kitang ipagmamalaki sa lahat. 'wag na 'wag mong kakalimutan 'yan. mahal na mahal kita, justin." my father cried infront of me and i hugged him. 'yun ang pinakaunang beses na umiyak siya sa harapan ko. at sobrang sakit.... dahil wala akong magawa. wala akong maintindihan.

"papa... ano po ba kasing nagawa mo? bakit ka nila ikukulong? baka pwede pang-"

"mr. de dios." a police officer called, cutting me off. my dad immediately pulled away from the hug and he smiled. he smiled at me like his smile can make all the sadness go away. he smiled at me like his smile could save our family from falling apart. he smiled..... like his smile could make me feel and realize how much he loves me.

he stood up and tapped my shoulder. at that moment, I couldn't do anything. i tried to grab his arm but it only slipped from my grasp. everything seemed to move really slow and i almost couldn't process anything. i just quietly sobbed... and sobbed... and sobbed.... until they took him away from me.

moments later, my mom soon went out from another interrogation room. i immediately stood up to hug her but as soon as i wrapped my hands around her, she pushed me away.

"m-mama... b-bakit p-po..." my lips trembled as i felt all my blood rush down to my toes. what's happening?

"this is all your fault." she said in her normal voice but i could clearly hear her anger behind it.

my fault? why?

"sa kagustuhan ng papa mo na mapaganda 'yang future mo at mapag-aral ka dyan sa lintik na dream university mo, kumapit siya sa patalim. nangutang kung kani-kanino pati sa isa sa mga kaibigan ng pamilya natin sa japan. na-bankrupt yung kompanya na pinagtatrabahuhan ng papa mo at ngayon hindi niya mabayaran lahat ng utang niya kaya kinasuhan na siya."

my eyes widened in shock. no, no, this can't be happening...

"masyado kasing mataas ang pangarap mo. sana nakuntento ka nalang sa kung anong meron tayo, hindi yung naghahangad ka pa ng kung ano-ano. at ngayon, makukulong ang papa mo at dahil 'yun sa'yo, justin. tandaan mo, kasalanan mo 'to."

those were the last words she told me before leaving me alone in the hallways of that police station. i walked myself home but when i went inside, my mom wasn't there. her clothes and things weren't there either. she left.... she left me alone.... i lost my dad... and i lost her too...

a week after that, i got a phone call from an unknown number. then, i found out she was the one who my father had debts to pay. she offered me lots of things; a guaranteed spot in my dream university, money allowance every month, a car, a nice condo...... and a chance to study and work in Japan, which is my ultimate dream.

I accepted everything. she was kind and caring... too far from how my mother used to treat me. i was confused as to why she was helping me when my father already had a huge debt to her. but i never asked. i was just grateful that at least, someone was helping me out.

then, i met his son, Vincent, who's more known as Apollo to his friends and colleagues. we became really close friends in a span of 2 years until it blossomed into something..... special. i was 19 then and he was 22. after a year of being a couple, he asked my hand in marriage to which i declined. i was only starting college that time and he was already graduating. i broke up with him when he kept on forcing and asking me to marry him.

we kept our breakup a secret...until his mom knew about it. she loved her son so much and she was willing to do anything for him so she threatened me. she threatened that she will take everything from me if i don't marry vincent.

she told me i have to marry her son, Vincent Apollo Okada, in exchange for all those things.... and for me to reach my dreams.

being the young and naive justin that i was, i accepted, even if i didn't want it, out of fear. she made me sign a contract that after finishing college, i will marry vincent and live in Japan with him.

however, i still had pride in me so i told Vincent's mom that i can apply for scholarship and find a part-time job so that i can fill in my academic needs. i didn't want a nice condo and an expensive car either so all that's left for me is to marry Vincent in exchange for a chance to study and master my dream course in japan.

now... i have no other choice but to fulfill that deal.

my parents didn't die in a car crash when i was little. my dream isn't the only reason why i'm going to japan. i lied..... i lied to stell.... and i hope he forgives me....