9- Present Day

Jensen Blackwell

A loud meow wakes me up, and then a soft thump on my chest.

I open my eyes to see Rusty staring at me, and then he begins to clean his paw.

I don't give him a chance to do much because I sit up, knocking rusty off of me.

A sound in the kitchen makes me more awake, and I stand up quietly out of bed, grabbing a baseball bat to use as a weapon for the intruder.

I can use my fists just fine, but I'm already in pain and I don't need another thing to add to my medical bills.

I silently make my way to the kitchen, and raise the bat up above my head.

The person in the kitchen turns around and stops when he sees me ready to hit him.

But he just laughs, and I drop the bat in relief.

"What the hell are you doing in my kitchen Mateo?" I ask, dropping the bat and resting it against the counter.

"About to be attacked apparently." Mateo snorts at the ridiculousness of me attacking him with a bat, and I just roll my eyes, sitting down at one of my bar stools, my knee hurting.

Mateo plates some tortillas on two separate plates, and glances at me.

He makes a gross noise when he notices my shirt.

"Shut up." I say, remembering I was wearing a team shirt for the team I left Colorado for.

"I didn't say anything!"

"You didn't need to."

"Gilipollas." He mutters, and sets down the pan he just used on a stove burner that wasn't on. He grabs another pan, and continues to plate some breakfast for the both of us.

I grab some of the beef he just cooked, and threw a piece at him. "I heard that."

"Heard what?" Mateo gives me a sly smile, and takes the pan of meat away from me before I can grab more to throw at him.

I just stand up and hobble through the kitchen, grabbing my medicine. I have one of those weekly medicine holder things, so I open todays date of the week and dump the pills into my hand.

"How's the knee?" Mateo asks, and he hands me a glass of orange juice.

I down the medicine before responding. "A pain in my ass."

"The injury isn't in your ass though. I thought you were a top."

I just roll my eyes and drink the rest of the juice, and he hands me my plate of breakfast.

"What is this?"

"Papas con chorizo." He says, biting into his food, and I do the same.

I make my way to sit down, but he still eats across from me, standing up.

"You better clean up this mess." I eventually say, pointing at all the dirty dishes.

He waves me off. "I will."

My phone buzzes in my sweatpants pocket, and I take it out, checking my screen.

1 new message from Sam

I unlock my phone.

Sam: Do you want to meet Carter sometime?

Sam: It's okay if you don't want too. I shouldn't have asked, I'm sorry.