48- Six Years Earlier

Samuel Winters

Walking into work the next day was the most painful thing.

I was in pain emotionally, mentally, and physically.

I don't really need to explain how and why I'm in pain on the emotional and mental side of things, but my throat was on fire.

I haven't told Celia about me saying anything. I'm not going to tell anyone. It was just a stupid mistake on my part.

"Sam! Glad to see you're feeling good enough to come in the office." Dani gives me a smile, standing up at her desk as I walk into her office.

Ha, what a joke.

I was hardly feeling good.

She has never been nice to me, not until I made her a shit ton of money with the piece on Jensen. I used to just be her errand boy.

Celia was also in the office, a few photos of Becks laid out from a recent photo shoot.

I slam down a few pieces of paper in front of her, right on her desk.

Dani looks at me skeptically before peering down at what I had just given her.

"What is this?"

I sign, and Celia translates, because once again Dani could never be bothered to learn even the most basic asl.

"It's his resignation letter." Celia tells Dani, and she looks up at me surprised.

Both of them do.

Dani opens and closes her mouth, and she's trying to think of something to say.

I sign one more thing, and Celia jumps up at what she has to translate.

"Effective immediately?"

Dani straightens, her eyes piercing into me. "Why are you doing this Sam?"

There are so many reasons as to why I'm quitting.

One of them is feeling guilty for having any sort of affair with Jensen. It won't be a secret if I stay here in this office and I'm pregnant. I only spent so much time around him, and everyone in the office knows I would never just sleep with someone random.

Another reason is to protect Jensen and his career. It would satisfy me to tell Dani all of the details of the relationship I had with him and see her publish it, both me and Jensen getting fired as a result of this big mistake.

The last reason is Dani. I was so much more than just an errand boy, and she only gave me something to report when she had no other options other than me. She was a horrible boss to me, and I wasn't going to work under someone who only just realized the value of my work when it was convenient and brought in money.

I sign to Dani, and Celia narrows her eyes.

"Are you sure you want me to say that Sam?"

I just give a firm nod. I really want Celia to say it to Dani, right here, right now and in front of me.

"He says you're a shitty person, and he hopes no other disabled person has to undergo the same treatment that he got from you."

Dani looks to Celia, and then back to me.

I don't care to hear for Danis response.

Raising my middle finger, I walk out of Danis office.

———

I'm outside, and it's late.

I'm also avoiding any questions from Celia.

I stare down at my phone, my finger hovering over the call button.