#16: One day.

Chapter Sixteen: "One day."

"Meera! Ramya's pregnant!" Arvind's excited voice came through Meera's phone as soon as she picked up his call.

He had dialed her number as soon as their doctor's consultation was over. He had brought her to the hospital due to her recent tiredness and light headedness which was the result of the good news.

"WHAT? Oh my god congratulations bhai"

Meera was thrilled. Her cousins were going to become parents.

It all suddenly made sense. Ramya was not the type to sit at one place. She was an energetic person who was always doing something.

Lately, her behaviour had been so different. She took frequent naps in the afternoon, woke up later than usual, was generally light headed and easily tired.

Meera rushed to tell her cousins who were all gathered in the home theatre, watching The Insurgent.

She proceeded to the screening room at the back of the theatre and paused the movie which resulted in annoyance from them. But as soon as she broke the news, their annoyance turned into a mixture of surprise and ecstasy.

-

The function hall was buzzing with activity as the preparations for the baby shower was taking place. As soon as the information of Ramya's pregnancy reached their parents, they had set for a baby shower in a couple of days.

Meera watched the previously plain white function hall turn glamourous with streamers, fairly lights and bright decorations. This was unlike the one for Meera's engagement. Hers was more like a modern ball. This was more traditional.

The mango designs on the fabric, the silverware used, the costumes that were supposed to be worn by everyone, everything had a traditional touch to it. It was beautiful.

"Di! Let's go" Vijay said, grabbing his sister's arm and led her towards the car where Ajay and Akash were waiting for them.

As soon as Vijay and Meera settled in the rear of the car, Akash drove off with the van with their driver and a few guards following them for help.

They were going shopping. Due to the shortage of time, all of them had opted to help out with the preparations. The younger clan split the work between them and the four of them had volunteered to take care of the shopping.

"Vijay and I will take care of the stuff needed for the prayers and groceries. You guys take care of the clothes," Akash said, pointing at Ajay and Meera before dragging Vijay with him towards the basement where all the religious stuff was sold.

"Shall we?" Ajay asked as Meera nodded and followed him upstairs where the outfits could be bought.

They had two choices, full traditional or indo-western. It was fine as long as the Indian culture was integrated into the costume.

-

"Here try this one" Ajay said, pushing Meera into the trail room. This was the twelfth one he was making her try and he was already picking out more for her.

"God Ajay, Ramya is the main event not me, we shouldn't spend so much time on my outfit"

"I don't care, you are always my main event and your outfit is my priority. Why else would I come for dress shopping" he spoke, making Meera's heart swell.

She hated every minute of the tiresome process of changing in and out of the different costumes but Ajay taking so much interest in her outfit made her endure it at least for him.