Chapter Eight

ONCE WE HAD MADE IT TO THE FRONT DOORS of the little palace I was left alone. I took a deep breath, making my way out the open doors. I was barely out of the threshold when I noticed the Darkling standing just a few feet away from the stairs below. Two black stallion horses were being saddled by the Darkling, I took in another deep breath realizing I was about to talk the person who'd forced me to come here in the first place, a sudden wave of emotion ran through my veins at the thought, but were pushed down once I realized I still hadn't moved from my place on the top of the stairs, so as slowly as I could I descended the stairs catching the eye of Darkling as he turned to me.

"Good morning." He said with a bow. I was just about to step down from the last step when I almost tripped over myself at the sound of his dark husky voice.

I nodded, "Good morning," I replied back, stepping down from the last step and slowly making my way towards him. He watched me closely as I drew closer, almost like he was studying my every move.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience this soon especially knowing you've only just arrived, but the king demanded a demonstration once you had made it here safely." I looked up to him almost forgetting the hight differences between us and felt suddenly intimidated knowing I barely went past his shoulder.

"Shall we?" He gestured to the horses, He turned, walking up to the black saddled horse and mounted it without hesitation, "I presume you know how to ride?"

"Yes." I answered softly, slowly making my way up to the horse beside his and mounting it.

We didn't say anything else for some time, but I had some questions that I wanted answers to. The pathway was mudded so I assumed it was a short cut, but I didn't question it. I knew I should have been angry with him for not giving me the option to whether or not I should have had a say into me being dragged here. And as much as I wanted to be angry with him, I just couldn't bring myself to.

"I can sense your curiosity," He broke the silence glancing over at me, "It's alright I'll answer them." I glanced back at him for a split second, looking away again.

"If this is about what happened back in the tent then yes, I believe I do owe you an apology." He beat me to it; I shook my head at him.

"No, no, I understand now. That Heartender told me everything." I responded back without a breath, "I just wish I could have had time to say goodbye to some people." I whispered turning my gaze to the horse.

"Ivan, I presume is the one who told you everything?" He asked not taking his eyes off the trail.

"The rude one." I said under my breath, but the darkling heard it and laughed.

"Ooh yes, I'm sorry about that he doesn't like a lot of people." He chuckled, looking over at me.

"You don't say," I replied back sarcastically.

He shook his head with a smile. "But on a serious notation; You are the only Grisha in this day and age who can destroy the fold. I know it's a lot to take in but with your kind of power I truly do believe we can finally have a chance of a new beginning." I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, and he was looking at me generously. I felt a hidden blush making its way up my neck and onto my cheeks. I didn't dare look at him, but I could feel his eyes training on me every now and then.

"That's what Ivan said as well." I said, feeling glum. 

I heard the Darkling sigh, "Well he's right." he started, "And look I know it's hard to believe that just you alone can destroy the fold but if I where you I would have already destroyed it." I could hear the bitterness in his voice, a hatred towards the fold and the things that crawled from within.

I couldn't blame him though most people did hate the fold. Most did want it gone. "But believe me, Maira, I need you. The people need you. The Grisha need you." I felt extremely overwhelmed with the thought of so many people expecting me to know what to do, how was I going to live through this?

"But why? Why me? Why now? I don't even know how to use it. I didn't even know it was there until now," I asked my voice quivered, and I knew the last bit of what I'd just said was a lie, but I didn't want him to know that.

He smiled over at me, "If I could answer that I would." I shook my head finally turning my gaze to him. "But maybe you'll find the answer you're looking for sooner or later."

But what if I don't? What if I never know? I knew I was being negative, but I couldn't help myself. I'd only discovered this power a few days ago, I didn't even know it was in me a few days ago. Yes, I knew I was different, but I didn't think it to be—

I didn't even realize we'd been off the trail road until a guard was standing at my side helping me down from the horse. I looked around my surroundings in awe; The stairs were white marble, and the door was as good as the one from the Little Palace. The building was larger with statued eagles hanging overhead atop of the building along with golden framed windows. In a way the outside reminded me of the Little Palace just twice the size of it.

"Welcome to the Grand Palace." The Darkling said now beside me. The doors were thrown open as we began climbing the steps to the doors. Once we were atop, we had been inside before I could even stop to breathe. We walked through a spacious entry hall, our feet clanking against the marbled grounds. Long corridors had been lined with mirrors and ornamented gold. Everywhere gold, or marble. Soaring walls of white and palest blue, gleaming chandeliers, liveried footmen, polished parquet floors laid out in elaborate geometric designs.

When we stopped, I realized that we'd been outside another set of double golden doors. I looked to the Darkling from the corner of my eyes, and he had a small smirk on his lips. I heard a jolt and before I had known the doors were thrown open.

To be continued....

1,232 words written.