Prologue.

"Allie!" Jay cried "can you hear me?"

His words were faint in my ears and my eyes were slowly starting to close. I opened my mouth trying to speak but my throat felt so dry I could hardly open it without it stinging. I tried with all the energy I had left in my cold, limp body to nod my head. But it was no use. So I just lay there staring at his fear-filled eyes and worried expression.

"Come on Allie" he whispered "Stay with me!"

Tears began to fill in his eyes and his voice grew very shaky. "Stay with me Allison. Don't you dare leave me". His hands were balled into fits as he pulled at the dirt in the ground. It was as if he was trying to hold onto it for support but kept slipping, like trying to grip water in a swimming pool.

This was the first time that I have ever seen Jaylen Strauss cry. I mean, really cry.

 He was crying because of me.

"No" my throat burned. His eyes flashed immediately to me.

"What?"

"Don't cry" I managed to get out more than a word. My throat stung. Jay moved his hand to my face and brushed my blood stained hair away from my wet cheek and put it behind my ears.

"Can you blame me? Look at you!" he immediately took back his words "no. never mind. Don't."

"It hurts" I whispered

"I know" he held my face "I'm so sorry baby"

"Why?" my head started to spin.

"This never would have happened if it wasn't for me" he shook his head

"No" my voice was back to whisper. I didn't know how much longer I could stay awake. My head pounded and my whole body ached like I was stabbed a million times over and over again. And my leg throbbed with an immense pain. How much longer could I go on? Was this the end? The end of me, the end of Jay; the end of us? No. No! I had to stop thinking this way! Jay and I are forever! He told me himself. We would make it through this-thick and thin... forever and always.

My thoughts enveloped me and my eyes started to close; they were heavier than ever now, I had to obey what they wanted.

Jay must have been talking this entire time but I never even noticed lost in my own scary thoughts. But his voice cut off.

"Allie?"

"Hmm"

"I love you, sweetheart"

I soaked up these words as I faded into unconsciousness.