Chapter 23

I heard a knock on my door, but I just laid in bed, silent, hoping the visitor would go away.

"Hey, buddy" Peyton said as she walked in

"Come on in, P. Don't bother waiting for an invitation" I said sarcastically.

I saw her heart break in her eyes, I insistently felt horrible.

I rubbed my face "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that"

She nodded, but she still looked sad.

"So, what's up?" I asked awkwardly

She sat down the bed "I just wanted see if you were okay. You know, with Jay"

"You heard that, huh?"

"We all did" she said apologetically

"Look, it was stupid to punch him the face"

"Way, way stupid" Peyton added

I shot her a look.

"Sorry, continue" she said

"I just wasn't thinking, well, no I was thinking, I was thinking about Jay behind bars!"

She nodded "Well you're okay now, that's all that matters" she smiled

I smiled back.

 "I'm sorry I'm a bitch, not just to you, I can't believe I fought with Jay I just got him back! This has just all been so emotional" I frowned overdramatically

She whimpered dramatically "I'm sorry you're a bitch too"

We both laughed out loud.

"My best friend is back!" Peyton cheered

"The one and only" I put my hand under my chin.

She hugged me

"Let's go out! For real this time" I winked.

She squealed "Yes! I'll go get my coat!" she rushed out the room

I got up and went to the bathroom to fix myself. I brushed through my hair and reapplied some mascara.

I went back to my room to put a sweater on, I chose my burgundy zip up one and grabbed some flip flops out of my closet.

"Where are you going?"

Jay was standing in my doorway.

"I'm going out with Peyton" I said as I walked to the bathroom to do a final teeth check.

"Where?" he asked

"I don't know, Jay. Just out. I'll be back later" I gave him a quick peck on the cheek because I just couldn't resist and being mad at him was hard.

I began walking down the stairs.

"Allie?" Jay called

I turned "Hmm?"

"I love you" he said in an unsure way, as if I didn't know if I would respond.

"You too" I said shortly and then walked down the stairs.

I wanted nothing more than to run back up those stairs and jump on him. Locking my door and keeping all outside distractions out. 

I stopped and stared back up the stairs, I was still upset about how Jay handled the Dean situation, but I was more upset with myself. I knew how dumb I acted, and after Jay made me promise not to get into any trouble while he was away, I broke that promise. And that made me feel even worse. I found myself walking back up the stairs to my bedroom.