Chapter 15

"Make yourself at home"

I walked into Peyton's bedroom and dropped my bag near the dresser.

"'Peyton, I've been here like what, a million times? "

"I know, but I just want to be extra nice to you" she hugged me

"No, please don't. I don't want any pity or anything like that"

"It's not pity!"

I shrugged "I guess I just want it too seem like it's not as big of a deal as it really is"

She did a dramatic frown with her bottom lip sticking out "I know" she hugged me again "the boys are going to stop by tomorrow morning... were you wanting to go back and see him?"

"Yes" I said a little too icy, but it was kind of a dumb question.

"Okay, are you tired?"

"More like exhausted!"

"Then let's sleep"

Peyton and I crawled into her king size bed and it reminded me of when we were little girls and we would have slumber parties and stay up all night and talk. And her mom would come into the room in the middle of the night and tell us that we had to be quiet or we wouldn't have any pancakes. I found myself giggling quietly in my pillow.

"Are you laughing?" Peyton asked.

I turned onto my back and sighed "yeah, I was remembering that one sleepover we had, where your mom threatened that we wouldn't get breakfast if we didn't shut the hell up"

Peyton collapsed in her pillow and started laughing "Oh yeah! But we got it anyways!"

"Of course we did! Your mother has always been so nice"

"Yeah... How old were we then?"

"Uh...Oh God, umm...12?"

"Oh, yeah! That was the last sleepover we were allowed until school started. That was Junior high school"

"The year you got your first boyfriend!" I poked her side.

"That's right! Oh, Jake... he was really cute!"

I laughed "I remember I was so jealous!"

"So you went out and paid some guy to say he was your boyfriend!" her voice broke with laughter.

"He only wanted two dollars!"

We laughed together just like we did at that sleepover. Then we both fell silent and Peyton started to frown.

"I can't believe we let boys dictate our happiness that young..."

I shrugged "Me neither. But you know, everybody always says 'boys are no good" or something like that. But, from what I've noticed, those people are always the heartbroken ones. I think that if you found someone who you really love and want to be with then you would disagree. I know that we started liking boys maybe a little early, but I do not for a second regret meeting Jaylen"

"I don't regret meeting Tyler" she added.

"Speaking of that, what is it with you two?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you dating?"

"I don't know to be honest"

"But you like each other" this was more of a statement than a question.

"Yeah, and I mean, you saw, we hold hands and flirt and stuff. But I don't really know where I stand with him. It's kind of annoying"

"Just ask him out!"