Chapter 1

I woke to my alarm clock booming a retro pop song on the radio. I leaned over to press the snooze button for the second time that morning but when I saw that is was already 7:30 I knew I had to get up. I walked with shrugged shoulders and wobbly feet to the bathroom to start my shower. I looked at myself in the mirror. I was a hot mess, as I always was this early in the morning. I brushed through my tangled dirty blond hair and turned to run the water. I hopped into the shower and let the water run for a few minutes before I actually started cleaning myself. I usually spent about 15 minutes in the shower, maybe more if I had a bad day.

I always found myself thinking when I was in the shower. I remember when my mom said she always got her greatest ideas when she was in the shower. She said that feeling the water run down her back making her skin look flawless, relaxed her, giving her all the inspiration she needed to write her stories. I loved when she would tell me them.

And then, there was dad. He never truly accepted mom's death. The whole family suffers because of it. Though every once in a while dad cheers up, at family gatherings. When there's beer, wine and whiskey.

I had always hoped- in the first year after mom's death- that I would eventually find that excitement in my life my mom had always possessed again, but I never did. Maybe I never will...

I quickly jumped out of the shower and wrapped myself up into a warm towel and smeared away the fog from the mirror. Another day waited.